"Proving" diabetes to the insurance company...

Michelle10929
on 2/10/12 10:41 am - NC
I'm a little nervous about this one...
I have a history of gestational x2, and pre-diabetic for 5 years, and then two years ago officially diagnosed with a 7.1 A1C. I was put on Victoza, and watch what I eat.. and I have my A1C down 6.2

Here is where it gets tricky...
I was diagnosed, and prescribed the Victoza, but I work in an Endocrine office, so the rep just throws an extra pen in for me every time she's there. And, the A1C has been so great (which I can just run at work), that I have not been back to MY Endo. I did get my yearly labs done though with the PCP.

What I have to take in to the visit with the surgeon is:
The notes/labs on my original 7.1 diagnosis with the PCP
The notes from the Endo where I was put on Victoza, and diagnosed "Newly diagnosed type 2 in suboptimal control"
My most recent A1C from PCP which is 6.2, with office notes that state "Type 2 diabetic 250.0 confirmed"
My downloaded meter with 120-130 fastings, and spiking over 200 1-2x per day
And.. as another perk of the job.. I have 2-three day reports of wearing a continuous glucose monitor showing the spikes to match the meter.

I'm worried that since my diabetes is not out of control that insurance won't consider me. My insurance states that I must have a co-morbidity. Trying to be prepared here..
I'm trying to prove with the CGM and meter that regardless of my A1C, I'm still having spikes that are destroying beta cells.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/12 6:50 am - GA
Hi

My A1c was 5.9 when it first meeting with my Surgeon and my A1C's have been in the 6.X range for a number of years, also on a pump. Type 2.
I don't think you have to worry, you have been diagnosed and i dint think it is a negative to the insurance company that you keep the diabetes in check. it doesn't change the fact we are diabetic.
It is a Co-morbidity either way.
Michelle10929
on 2/21/12 12:13 pm - NC
Thanks Jean. I think I'm just being overly paranoid/prepared. Because of working in the Endo world I fight with insurance companies every day over this stuff. But I've never had a situation like mine. Usually its just insulin dependant vs non insulin dependant. Some of these insurance companies are insane though.. like only allowing for a type one teenager to check blood sugars 3x a day. Oh, ok so they're not allowed to ever snack, get sick, go through puberty, or have a period, or exercise. I told one lady... Congrats, your company has come up with the cure for diabetes. Kill them all off. LOL.

So.. with having THAT attitude towards insurance companies I'm just sitting here like all guns drawn and ready to go! haha.

First visit with the surgeon is tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll learn more and talk to their insurance lady about all of this.

Thanks for the response though :)
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/12 12:44 pm - GA
Good luck with your Surgeon visit tomorrow. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 173 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views