RNY 3/20/2012 need advice??

Kalyssa
on 3/9/12 5:07 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
Hello-  This is my first post.  I have surgery on 3/20/2012.  I am a diabetic, have psuedotumor cerberi, neuropathy, pcos, gerd, etc....

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to expect afterwards with my conditions.  
Thank you in advance.
funkyphillygirl
on 3/11/12 11:58 pm
Hi Kalyssa and welcome!  These are great questions for your doctor/surgeon/medical team and I hope that you have asked them so that you can thoroughly understand what to expect.  I would suppose you have or you would not have made the decision to go through with surgery.  I am 6 months post RNY and a Type 1.5 diabetic.

Everyone's results are different and what you can expect with your other medical conditions obviously is dependent on your age, the severity of your conditions, what your doctors say, etc.  I too had some reflux which has completed disappeared.  My diabetes is generally better on less medicine, PCOS too - but I am post-menopausal.

If I were to offer you any words of advice, it would be to stringently follow doctor's orders.  No freelancing.  No thinking you know better than they do.  No fooling around.  That's your best chance for success.  I would also suggest that you become as educated as you can about any medical conditions you have and also the surgery.  This allows you to understand a bit better how all of these things interact and what is happening to you. 

I would also suggest that you start exercising as soon as the doctor says it's ok.  Walking, walking, walking - you won't believe how much that helps.  But, know that it will be slow going at first.  But, if you keep at it, you will very quickly notice how much you can do and how much better you feel.

Also, one thing I did NOT know prior to surgery, is that you actually gain weight after surgery for a few days.  Once released from the hospital, I jumped on the scale as soon as I got home - only to see that I had GAINED 10 pounds.  I was stunned, and called the doctor's office - only to find out that you pick up a LOT of fluid weight from the surgery.  My ankles were very, very swollen, but the walking really helped to move that fluid off and I lost that 10 pounds in about 4-5 days.  So, don't be in a panic - it's perfectly normal.

Best of luck and keep posting!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 170 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 498 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 846 views