did your diabetes resolve with the gastric bypass

maxie1
on 12/20/12 12:03 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

i had the gastric sleeve in 6 of 2011  diabetes did not improve at all.. now going for a revision the insurance will not pay for the ds only the gastric bypass...thanks

susan

susan                                                                                                
funkyphillygirl
on 12/24/12 3:35 am

I have LADA, which is a late onset Type 1 diabetes with some insulin resistance thrown in (like Type 2).  So, although I initially investigated surgery as a way to address my diabetes, it quickly became evident that, as a Type 1, there was nothing that would resolve it.  However, I have gotten fairly good results with the insulin resistance part and substantially decreased my medicine and my insulin doses with the weight loss.

Why type of diabetes do you have?  Are you using insulin?

maxie1
on 12/28/12 7:36 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

type 2 and yes i am on insulin..

susan                                                                                                
funkyphillygirl
on 12/28/12 1:40 pm

Susan: Are they sure you have Type 2 and not a late onset Type 1 (like what I have)?  There are several blood tests you can have done to find out.  Basically, you can have a GAD-65 and an antibody test.  Although this article is from the UK, it discusses the tests:

http://www.locallada.swan.ac.uk/faq.html

I only mention this because I thought, and was told, that I had Type 2 for about 22 years.  When I first got serious about having surgery a few years ago, I happened upon an endocrine consult who suggested I have these tests.  My test results actually contradicted each other, and then I asked for a c-peptide, which would tell me about my insulin production.  (I had a 0.1 c-peptide or basically almost ZERO insulin production.)

Surprise surprise - I was NOT Type 2, but rather Type 1.5 or LADA.  It did not change a lot of the treatment that I was on at that point, but it certainly did help to set some very appropriate goals for having surgery.  When I first started looking into surgery about 10 years ago, it was to reverse Type 2 diabetes.  Once I realized that was not what I had (and fumed about it for a while), I still went ahead with the surgery anyway.  It has made a significant difference in the amount of insulin that I use and my overall control.  And I am getting ready to start on a pump soon.  But, I am glad that I knew BEFORE having surgery that my diabetes could not be resolved since I didn't have hardly any insulin production and wasn't going to. 

Have you had a c-peptide drawn?  At a minimum, that will tell you if and how much insulin you are producing on your own.  If you aren't producing any, then you likely don't have Type 2 (which is characterized by normal to high insulin production, but the body isn't able to use it).

I hope this helps.  I can certainly feel your level of frustration and understand it.  Also, if you have been diabetic for more than about 10 years (I have been for 26 years), the surgery will not be effective in resolving Type 2 diabetes.  Most of the literature shows that it's only effective for those with shorter term disease.

Please keep in touch - and see about getting some additional testing if you haven't already had it.

maxie1
on 12/28/12 1:48 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

thank you for the information.. i have been a diabetic for about 25 or more years... i am on insulin my a1c are always around 13 or so... so my sugar is not well controlled at all.. i will look into the blood tests you mentioned though..  i am so frustrated i thought having the sleeve would help it didnt.. now my insurance doesnt want to pay for the sleeve but will pay for the gastric bypass.  so i am looking into that also why they will not pay.. i just want to be healthy, get this sugar under control and loose more weight.. talk to you again thanks .

susan

susan                                                                                                
funkyphillygirl
on 12/28/12 2:02 pm

Yes, please talk to your doctor.  I love my regular endocrinologist, and still see him.  He always thought I didn't "fit" a Type 2 somehow, but never ordered the test.  It took someone with fresh eyes to suggest that I get them.  When I freaked out a bit over thinking I was a Type 2 for 22 years and really wasn't, I think the doctors were a little perplexed - like, what's the big deal?  So, you are on insulin and will remain on it?  But it was precisely so that I could manage my expectations and also research what type of surgery would be best for me in the long run.

At that point, I was considering DS to improve chances of managing diabetes, but it wouldn't have mattered.  I already have osteopenia also, so didn't want to have any type of surgery that would impede my calcium absorption any further.  I have RNY - very happy with it and the results.

Yes, that a1c has to come down for your own health sake.  You will feel like a different person if you can achieve that.  It's clear you need better insulin management as well - sounds like you are not using enough insulin to match your needs at all. 

I have a great diabetic educator who has helped me revamp my insulin routine and get myself on a much better matched routine.  He does a LOT of work via Skype, so your location is not a big deal.  If interested, message me.  I'll request to add you to my list now so that we can keep in touch.

Know that you are not alone.  And think about your goals - no matter what type you are, you've had it too long, I think, to see it resolve.  But you certainly CAN work on better control - that's a lot more reasonable goal.  Don't give up, Susan!

Terry

maxie1
on 12/28/12 2:39 pm - PA
RNY on 06/10/13

thanks Terry have a nice New Years will talk to you again on the 2nd i only have my computer at work don't have one at home..

susan

susan                                                                                                
robinc49
on 2/9/13 12:05 pm - TN

Thanks for the 411 very helpful since i have been a diabetic for 18 years now. Hopefully it hasn't progressed that far. Thanks again . Robin

Annyka
on 1/20/13 2:40 am - Pfafftown, NC

Yes, my type 2 resolved - however, it was not nearly as instantaneous as some people experience. How quickly it resolves will depend on the severity (your A1C levels), and how long you've had it, among other factors. I gradually weaned off of Actos (oral meds), and Lantus, finally going completely off meds at about 7 months post-op. My last A1C was 5.9, my PCP considers me resolved.

gary3917
on 1/22/13 1:13 pm - Duson, LA
DS on 06/05/13

Which surgery is the best for severe diabetes ? I use 500 units of insulin 3 times a day , and a Type 2 . Is the DS better or will the RYN gastric bipass get the same results Thank you so much

Gary

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 500 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 847 views