Still a diabetic...

Nikki_Lynn
on 8/23/13 7:56 am - OH

2 weeks post-op and I am still a diabetic. Though my diabetes has improved, I still have it and I find myself slipping into a depression. I am insulin dependent and that has me seriously bummed out. At this point I'm taking 40 units of Lantis every morning and for the most part that's all that I need as long as I'm just drinking my protein shakes. The problem is I don't want to just be drinking protein shakes forever...but I don't want to be on more insulin either. The whole thing is a bummer. Of course I had the surgery for weight loss but it was also for diabetes loss as well...and it isn't gone...

mickeymantle
on 8/23/13 3:32 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

how long are you a diabetic, I was told if your  a diabetic more than 10 years or on insulin more than 2 years , chances are it will improve but meds will still be needed

I had vsg 4 weeks ago and im off insulin and Byetta ,only on 2000 metiformin and was told when I lose more weight I might not need them, I am eating 600-700 Cal a day 65-80 gm protein, my blood sugar has been betwwen 80 and 138 since surgery

I also eat fruit besides protein

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nikki_Lynn
on 8/24/13 1:22 am - OH

I became a gestational diabetic 6 years ago, insulin dependent in my pregnancies. My diabetes was worse than what I realized too which is why I ended up on the insulin in the hospital and now. My numbers have been doing much better though which is a blessing. I'm hoping as I drop more weight the diabetes will be totally gone.

bucalovsme
on 8/28/13 2:23 am - PA
RNY on 03/13/13

I'm 6 months post op and went from an A1C of 10.0 on surgery day with a BS reading of 300 to 6.2 at 6 months post op with BS readings in the low 100's, with no meds at all now!  The more weight you loose the better your numbers will get...be patient, you'll get there.  My endo told me it doesn't take the diabetes away as soon as you have the surgery, it comes down as your body realizes the changes it's going thru, he said it could take me a year to be completely off meds....and at 6 months I'm already completely off of every diabetic med and feeling wonderful.  It will happen for you.

funkyphillygirl
on 9/4/13 2:08 pm

Please, please, please focus on the positive things you are doing for your overall HEALTH.  As your weight reduces, so will your insulin needs.  Too many people believe that this surgery is a cure, but it is not a cure for many people.  and it is true that, depending on how long you have had the disease has a direct impact on whether you get some remission or not.  But, some people do have it return after several years.  You really have to embrace that this was a good decision for you overall and not focus so much on diabetes.

I have been a diabetic for 27 years and have Type 1.5 (which is a combo of Type 1 and Type 2).  I was misdiagnosed for almost 25 years as a Type 2 and I had the surgery 2 years ago.  By then, I knew that there was no way that I would have some measure of cure.  I have 2 years on September 12 and I am far healthier, using MUCH less insulin and oral meds, and no longer need blood pressure or cholesterol meds.  This is a huge improvement.  My energy is better, I can run (!!) now and walk long distances.  I feel wonderful.  And I have extended my life as a result.  These are big things.

I know you might be disappointed, but please focus on all the good that can and is coming out of this surgery for you.  And keep posting.....

Best to you!

kwood12714
on 7/17/15 10:42 am

Hello. I know you posted this almost two years ago but I am in the same situation. I am a Type 1.5 diabetic and I am not completely off insulin but hoping to loose twenty more pounds and be off the fast acting and just take lantus at night. My question is how do you combat the weight gain with insulin and bypass. I feel like I am fighting an up hill battle and I am experiencing a stall in weight loss. I think it is because of the insulin. Any advice is appreciated. Congrats on all your progress. starting weight 270 current weight 188- One year post op. Goal weight 150-160.

funkyphillygirl
on 12/30/15 8:52 am

If you are t1.5, you will not go off of insulin.  The type 1 part of that actually means that you have autoimmune diabetes and that your pancreas does not function.  Thus, you do not make enough (or perhaps any) insulin and need it from external sources.  If you NOT a t1.5, but rather a t2, you might be able to change this.  But, not if you are truly t1.5.

I am 4 years out now and indeed my weight loss is not as much as many others without the situation, but I am just fine.  I lost about 90 pounds and had a regain of 10 at year 3.  But I just keep working at everything every day and that helps.  BE POSITIVE!  BE ENCOURAGED!  BE HEALTHY most of all!

funkyphillygirl
on 12/30/15 8:54 am

Also, because of your type, I suspect you will need the fast-acting MORE than the Lantus.  A pump is a great device that uses only fast-acting insulin.  How are you doing now?

Jen Lyn
on 11/6/13 10:30 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I wonder if people going off meds instantly might actually still need them sometimes.  I know my diabetes is not under control though I hope it will be.  It can go away later.  Maybe yours will decrease as you progress.

Bingoball
on 11/17/13 9:45 am

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op, before my surgery i was taking 4000 mg metformin, over 200 units of lantus plus apidra (fast insulin) at everyy meal. My BS was still running >16 all day and getting over 20 some days

My BS numbers now are 6-10 all day and I am only taking 2000 metformin in the morning. I have lost 25 ils so far only but I had a 42 bmi

I am just beginning the next food phase Puree

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 172 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 498 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 846 views