question about diarrhea in the night

Bonnie R.
on 3/24/11 12:36 am - Stratford, CT
 Hi All.  I generally have normal stool during the day.  But almost every night for several weeks (with a day or two break) I have diarrhea several times in the middle of the night.  Before bed I take my vites whi*****lude calcium citrate--then an hour later I take magnesium citrate, zinc, A,  C, K.  

Do you think it is the vitamins doing it?  Which vitamin should I change out? I don't feel sick when this happens, just an urgent run to the toilet.  It interrupts my REM cycle and I feel very tired during the day.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
gak
on 3/24/11 12:43 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Hi Bonnie,
I have noticed if I do not take vits until closer to bedtime that I wake up during the night to go as well. I have been working diligently to get them all in by 8 pm. This seems to have made a big difference in sleep being more undisturbed. I am sleeping so much better.  It takes a bit of work throughout the day to k eep remembering to space them out and be done by 8 pm but I sure am sleeping so much better !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

BeSwitched
on 3/24/11 3:11 am, edited 1/24/12 3:51 am

Bonnie R.
on 3/24/11 3:30 am - Stratford, CT
 so what do you take to get your Mag in?  Mag Oxide?
Nopenname
on 3/24/11 3:36 am - Tacoma, WA
On March 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM Pacific Time, Bonnie R. wrote:
 so what do you take to get your Mag in?  Mag Oxide?
 Generally you will hear that Mag Citrate is "for" cramps and twitches and mag oxide is "for" laxative. 

HOWEVER, you get enough of any kind of magnesium it's ALLLLLL "for" laxative. 

Could very well be you don't NEED it. We don't necessarily have the exact same vitamin requirements. I don't take Mag citrate unless I experience night leg cramps. 

HW/ SW/ CW/ GW

453/380/160/165

I'm pretty sure bacon tastes as good as thin feels!
*Feel free to call me "Pen" or "Nic" I'll even answer to "hey you" *

Hendramy
on 3/24/11 3:22 am
*mag citrate = colon blow * for me as well.
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
MarciRenee
on 3/24/11 5:04 am - IA
I would try cutting out the mag citrate...as Nic says.  If you are already getting enough in via your calcium (that likely has mag citrate or oxide in it) then I wouldn't add the mag citrate at night.

Try that and see how it goes.

My only other question is how much/many carbs are you eating later in the day/evening?  I know that if I eat a LOT of them I can have this issue as well.

My other thought is a possible overgrowth of bacteria.  I really know much about them, so I can't help with info.  But that might also be a place to look.
Marci       
Hendramy
on 3/24/11 5:25 am
You can also do magnesium glycinate
Amy
HW 324/ SW 303/ CW 172/ GW130            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1052 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1215 views