I'm switched and feeling better every day!

Lori B.
on 3/24/11 11:53 pm - Great Mills, MD
Thanks Gail! 

Julie R.
on 3/24/11 11:33 pm - Ludington, MI
 I'm glad you are doing so well, Lori.    I hope the foot issue continues to improve.   I've heard of this happening with other DSers.    Isn't the "DS taste change" mind bending?  Some things still taste off to me, and I'm a MUCH pickier eater nowadays because of it.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Lori B.
on 3/25/11 12:00 am - Great Mills, MD
Thanks Julie!  Not that I want anyone else to have suffered with the foot issues, but it is somehow a relief to know that I'm not the only one this has happened to. 

The taste change thing is weird!  Some things don't taste different to me at all.  Some things taste stronger.  Some disgusting!  I've even thrown a few things away as being unacceptable.  There were very few items of food that were unacceptable to me before surgery. 

kathy215
on 3/25/11 1:24 am

Lori,

One of my co-workers who also had the DS had the same problems with her feet, She had the nurses keep checking them, She thought she was developing ulcers on her feet, now, I didn't have any problems with my feet, But, Did you know, at least with our Dr's that in the OR they have you on a turn table and you are in all different positions during the sugery, standing up, etc, of course your feet aren't touching the ground but it's something to do with they need to see how your anatomy falls or something, not sure.. Who knows, they may be a cause of your sore feet.

Take Care
Kathy

Lori B.
on 3/25/11 5:03 am - Great Mills, MD
Thanks Kathy!  Dr. Bonanni did say it was from being in the same position bearing all my weight for a long time.  Being a band to DS revision, there was plenty of scar tissue to clear out, so it was a bit longer surgery.  I don't think he understood how injured I actually was, despite me telling everybody who came to check on me that I couldn't bear weight on it.  He and his staff wanted me on it more and didn't really want me to use any aids (crutches, walker, wheechair).   That's not what the ortho doc wants though.  She's telling me use a walker, and the air casts to get around.  If it isn't better in four weeks, she's doing an MRI.  The right foot hurt badly after surgery too, but it has resolved completely, so I'm hoping with a little more time....... 

Lori R.
on 3/25/11 3:24 am - Saint Leonard, MD
Hi Lori... glad to hear that you are doing so well so soon!  I ate instant mashed potatoes for about a week - I would put some cream cheese in them to add in some protein... they did make me a little gassy but I didn't mind as it wasn't painful and I was home alone during the day

I don't know if you can drink plain water okay (it bothers me sometimes) and for some reason crystal light just doesn't do it for me anymore and the hawaiin punch  mixes are waaaay to sweet for me now - but I am now in LOVE with the Fuze slenderize drink.  They can be pricey so I stock up when Giant or Safeway has them on sale for a $1.00 - Walmart used to carry them but the last time I was there they had 1!  I love the tropical punch flavor... it doesn't have any sugar and only 2.5 carbs.  

Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly!

Lori R. 

I reject your reality and substitute my own!   

Lori B.
on 3/25/11 5:12 am - Great Mills, MD
Lori R,
Hey!  You are the closest DSer to me I've found!  Do you have a good support group over there in Calvert County?  I like my little RNY/VSG sisters here in St. Mary's, and they are very accepting of me, but it would be nice to meet with some other DSers too!

Thanks for the suggestions!  There's a sugar free punch I really like (4E?), though it does taste pretty sweet to me now.  When I run out of it, I'm going to make Koolaid using the packets with less splenda than is called for.  I like the Fuze drinks too, but haven't tried one yet post surgery. 

Mashed potatoes with cream cheese sounds delicious!!

So you had surgery in January?  How has your recovery been?  Doing well I hope!
Lori B.

Lori R.
on 3/25/11 6:03 am - Saint Leonard, MD
Hi Lori B.! 

I think there is an RNY support group here - they meet in the libraries.  They did refer me to a good Dr. for my psych eval though.  One of these days I am going to go to one of the DS support groups.  They have one coming up in April but I already have plans for that day. 

One of the Hawaiian punch mixes (the orange one) tastes just like a pixie stick.  I'll have to look into the 4E punch... I like variety. 

My recovery has been easy (fingers crossed and knocking on wood) thankfully! I had my surgery open so I wore my binder for about a month and a half (but it helped sooo much). I only got nauseated in the hospital twice (still have the meds Dr. Greenbaum gave me for that because thankfully I never needed them).  I did cheat and I started on solid foods sooner than I was supposed to, but I chewed it all up until it was mush!  I did wait two weeks until I started eating solid food.  I had to do a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery so I just wanted substance SO bad I couldn't help myself any longer.  So far the only thing I cannot tolerate is Truvia.  Which sucks for me because I can't stand Splenda.  Dr. Greenbaum is an awesome surgeon or I have iron guts/tummy - maybe both?  I was easily tired for the first month but I am doing much better now.  I work from home so I think that helped my recovery as well... no running around like mad or fighting traffic, etc.  Just took things nice and slow. 

I wish I was losing faster, but I have been overweight since I was 5 so my body probably thinks I'm trying to kill it or something and its holdin' on for dear life!  I will be 3 months out on April 10 and so far I am down 34lbs from surgery and 45 including the preop diet.  I'm obsessed with the Lab Rat data page.  But I just keep on drinking my fluids, getting my protein and taking my vits.

This board has A LOT of great info and people who are always willing to answer questions.  Maybe we can get together for lunch or something when your a little further out!

Lori R.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!   

Lori B.
on 3/26/11 1:14 am - Great Mills, MD
Thanks Lori!  I'd love to keep in touch and get together sometime.  Maybe we can carpool up to one of the MAD meetings or Vitalady's visit at Dr. Elariny's office.

Diane Davis
on 3/25/11 2:02 pm
I'm so happy for you Lori!  I'm excited to watch your journey, you have such a positive attitude.  I'm sure your son will learn a lot from this experience, especially compassion and how to be a caring soul.  All good!

Prayers for your continued recovery and hope your foot gets better fast.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 946 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1158 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 408 views