Carbonated Beverages

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/15/11 2:43 pm
I'd avoid all carbonated beverages (thats my opinion). It does stretch out your stomach.

Scott
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/15/11 3:01 pm, edited 4/15/11 3:03 pm - Tuvalu

Pre-DS, I was a three-drink asshole.  Now, halfway into one drink, my nose goes numb and I'm the funniest person alive...for about ten minutes.  Then the whole buzz is gone.  All of my current assholeness is accomplished without benefit of alcohol.  (The benefit of that is that it's a permanent state and predictable.)
P. Poster
on 4/15/11 8:40 pm
 I have no issues with diet soda now at almost 11 months out.  I first tried it right around 2 months postop, on vacation, and it just about killed me.  The bubbles were just WAY too much, felt awful in the new, still healing stomach and ended up making me sick.  I didn't try it again for a few months.  When I DID, I would pour it slowly over a lot of ice to take some of the fizz off, and then drink it with a straw.  Fountain soda still works better for me than canned/bottles.  But, I drink one diet soda (at least) a day now, and can basically drink it just like I could preop (I could never gulp or chug soda though).

As for alcohol- I agree with the others that it is best to wait until you know what your liver function markers are doing, and then, it's really up to you to do what you feel is right in this regard.  Mine NEVER spiked postop.  I had one drink at 2 months out on vacation (I should clarify, it was more like 4 sips before I was pretty tipsy- HA!) and have had a glass or two of red wine here and there since then for certain rare occasions.  I have recently had a few nights where I have had more than a few drinks...  I will say, alcohol affects you MUCH differently postop.  It comes on FAST and strong, after a very little bit to drink, but then it's gone just as quickly.  I can go from fine, to buzzed, to "whoa I've had too much", to sober in about an hour flat now (and yes, I've tested this, it pays to have cops for friends, LOL!).  I will also say, try to have your drinks at home, and definitely WITH trusted others, strange things can happen mixing alcohol and the DS until you learn your new tolerances.  
mrsannie
on 4/15/11 9:52 pm
For me I think its the size of the bubbles.  Usually beer is OK, and occasionally I do have a regular coke with no problems as long as I don't drink it too fast.  Diet Coke kills me!  I get a lot of gas and stomach pains, I guess the bubbles are bigger or there is more carbonation.  I also have an issue with seltzer, which I love.

Using ice is a good idea, I usually stir it around a few times to break up some of the bubbles before I drink it as well.

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Jolly Rancher
on 4/15/11 11:36 pm
I have been drinking diet soda since two weeks out. I never had any issues with anything, other than a little burping at first. Beer just bloats me up and makes me feel so full, that I don't really drink it anymore. Maybe 1 or 2 here and there, but mostly, I'll just have a low carb mixed drink.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
goingforit
on 4/16/11 12:05 am
I am going on a month out and just started drinking Diet Coke. Not really by choice. I had the idea that I would drink more if I really liked what I was drinking....I was so hooked on it that I had quit months ago. So I am drinking lots more now but feel bad to go back to old habits. Also the caffeine is keeping me awake! The bubbles don't hurt but I am very cautious and drink slowly --tiny sips.
Fade2Pink
on 4/16/11 1:44 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I started drinking diet Coke at about 9 months out.  I was an addict before surgery and have returned to being one.  I get the majority of my hyrdation this way.  I wish I wouldn't have started back to drinkjing it, it's a hard habit to break.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Elizabeth N.
on 4/16/11 1:49 am - Burlington County, NJ
Carbonated beverage, if it's sugar free: Try ONE SMALL SWALLOW, wait and see how it sits. Then decide about a second swallow.

Beer: Do yourself a favor and don't go there. Can you spell empty carb calories plus alcohol calories plus heaven only knows how you'd react to the booze this early out? Just wait.
DS4dana
on 4/16/11 3:07 am - CA
I love my carbonated flavored water and have it occasionally but I either shake or stir the bubbles to make it mostly flat before I drink it.  I did this pre-op but not as agressively as I do now. 

I have had some alcohol since surgery and it affected me very quickly but then mellowed out.  I had my 3 month labs a few months later and all was good.

Cheers,
Dana

(5'6" Lg frame 7'wrist)  Pants: size 6-8
HW- 265  SW-251  CW-146 GW-155 (100% EWL in 10 months) LOW GW- 145

Emily F.
on 4/16/11 9:35 am
I'm a year out and I have no room for carbonation. I will sip some of hubby's cherry coke at the movies, but nothing else tastes good or feels good.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 835 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1092 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views