Carbonated Beverages

sbp7
on 4/15/11 9:21 am - Munster, IN
Curious about everyone's experience with coronation post op.

I haven't had a diet soda since Christmas. Wondering if it is something I am safe to experiment with or not.

Also, I would love to have a beer. Haven't had a drink since Christmas either.
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 9:25 am
Carbonated drinks sometimes give me heartburn, sometimes they don't, so kind of a crapshoot.  I really don't like diet sodas so very rarely drink them.

I really would wait a year or at least until your liver labs are in normal ranges before drinking any alcohol.  Alcohol is a major stressor on your liver as is weight loss and your liver doesn't need the additional work right now.

HTH,
Michele
sbp7
on 4/15/11 9:25 am - Munster, IN
Coronation equals carbonation. Stupid autocorrect on my phone!
Steve

beth-28
on 4/15/11 1:36 pm
lol....For a minute there I thought you were in the SCA also.  

Beth
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

dtabor5
on 4/15/11 9:43 am
I am 21 months out and i drink a coke every once in a while.. sometimes it gives me heartburn/indigestion. I think I have had 3 glasses of wine since.... Now i do know of folks that drink regularly, ( I don't mean to excess ) but they have no problems. just keep in mind where you use to could drink 3 beers before now it may be just one... so you have to be careful and experiment.

Good Luck

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Julie R.
on 4/15/11 9:52 am - Ludington, MI
 I drink two diet cokes a day.    I wasn't really able to do that though until about six months out, and it took me a couple of years to build back up to two.    I wish I wouldn't have, but it's really my only vice.

In regard to alcohol - I'd hold off while you are in the rapid weight loss phase.....
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Kayla B.
on 4/15/11 9:59 am - Austin, TX
With a tiny tummy, I found carbonation to be a little uncomfortable for awhile.  If you're craving one, try it, but I'd try to flatten it out just a bit by pouring it over ice first and taking it slow.  I could really only drink maybe a couple ounces of diet sprite around 3-4 months out, but I was really craving it.  I remember buying a 20 oz bottle and it lasted several days -- haha :)

IMO - probably too soon for any alcohol.  Losing weight is pretty hard on your liver and it's best to not stress it out even further by adding alcohol to that mix.  I had a few sips at 4 months out only because it was my 21st birthday.  After that, I waited several more months.  I really still don't drink much -- one drink makes my head spin and I really just crave a nap more than anything else.

Most recommend waiting at least 6 months, preferably 12 months after surgery.  I think being very moderate with alcohol, maybe having one drink at 6 months out is probably not going to cause too much harm.

I would recommend being either at home or definitely having someone to drive you home when you first drink though.  It hits me hard and fast now.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
MarciRenee
on 4/15/11 11:17 am, edited 4/15/11 11:32 am - IA
I personally LOVE soda and have it a lot.  I also drink a lot of water and tea.  I always drink ALL of my drinks over ice - esp the soda as it "breaks" up the bubbles.

I would try some over ice and see how it goes.  I found that I didn't like all the same diet sodas that I did pre-op, they just tasted different.  My favorite is Diet Sunkist Sparkling Lemonade.

WAYYY too soon for alcohol - you should wait at least a year to imbibe.

Marci       
sbp7
on 4/15/11 11:52 am - Munster, IN
Thanks for all the good advice!

I definitely plan on waiting for a while to try alcohol. Crabs in general don't agree with me anyway.

I might experiment with diet soda some time in the coming months.
Steve

MsBatt
on 4/15/11 12:05 pm
I tried my first post-op soda at about 3 months out. It hurt like the DEVIL. At 6 months out, I could drink most of a MickyD's 'small'. Today, at more than seven YEARS post-op, I can drink a whole 'small', but---I just don't LIKE it like I did pre-op.

Now, beer---that's another story. (*grin*)

Beer isn't as fizzy as most sodas, but I still can't drink enough beer fast enough to get much of a buzz. Between burping and peeing, I just don't drink much beer any more---but a cold one sure does taste good on a hot summer afternoon!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 587 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 961 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views