What foods cause you horrible gas?

bass_girl
on 4/20/11 12:11 am

I am still new out from surgery, but I have been sampling some foods just to see before I go back to work next week.    The only thing I have found so far that gave me BAD gas is Uncle Ray's BBQ potato chips.   It was horrible!!    I had a piece (well actually 1/2 slice) of wheat bread yesterday morning with my egg and that was even fine.   But the handful of chips made the whole house stink with only 2 little farts!!   What are your stay away from foods?

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 12:27 am
You're eating chips at less than two months out?  Wow.

As for your question....anything with white flour in it.  Modified food starch is a killer (learned that lesson with canned vegetable beef soup) for me.  Unfortunately, sugar doesn't seem to bother me at all, which is not a good thing.  I was hoping it would have me smelling up the neighborhood.  Whole wheat flour doesn't seem to bother me, as long as I'm responsible with it and only have small amounts.  It seems lately, that if I do choose to have a "questionable" food, it doesn't bother me near as much if I eat it with a bunch of protein.  Example: nachos.  If I use tortilla chips, I don't get gas as bad if I load them up with meat, cheese, quac, and plain greek yogurt.  Weird, but that's how my body seems to be working.....for now.  Every time I THINK I have this DS way of eating figured out, my body changes it's mind about what it will tolerate.
bass_girl
on 4/20/11 12:38 am
A few regular chips will calm my stomach if it's upset.  Much like a cracker.  My husband had bought some BBQ chips.   I had a very small amount.....just to see.   Well, I saw alright!!!  I saw my family running for the window!!  LOL!  

I like your statement:

Every time I THINK I have this DS way of eating figured out, my body changes it's mind about what it will tolerate.

I guess this is the hardest thing about the DS.   It won't let you figure it out.   It just does what it wants. 

MarciRenee
on 4/20/11 1:37 am - IA
It will eventually settle down into a new normal - but it is going to take quite awhile, probably more than a year.  So just be prepared for some changes along the way.

I normally know how my body is going to react to certain things...however sometimes things that don't usually bother me cause gas.  It is what it is, period.  I am low carbing and being very good about it - especially during the day - and I was farty all last night - for no good reason I can explain.  It just was.  That being said I would NOT trade that for the 150+ pounds that I've lost.
Marci       
Sarah_Anne
on 4/20/11 12:48 am
Anything with milk.  I was lactose intolerant before surgery but now, wow wow wow.  Yogurt seems ok, as does cheese.  Gas for me also seems to be dependent on combinations of things I eat.  

Also beans!  I made some chili and added some beans for fiber as I get quite constipated, and yeah never again.  

HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 1:04 am
Milk does a number on me too.  I drank milk like a nursing calf before surgery and right after surgery too.  It was at around 3 months post op, that I figured out that milk was NOT my friend.  I can tolerate Lactaid milk, but I think it tastes different than regular milk, so I dig to the back of the refrigerator case in Walmart to get the carton with the farthest expiration date, because it takes me forever to use a half gallon.  Yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...all are good and cause me zero trouble, but milk....ugh.
Sarah_Anne
on 4/20/11 1:14 am
As of today, I have lost 101 lbs, so as a treat I bought some parve (non-dairy**** cream.  Great thing about living in Israel is you know for sure when things have milk in them and usually there are alternatives.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 1:27 am - Woodbridge, VA
For me, it's all starchy carbs. Sugar is fine - I can eat candy bars all day without a problem. But give me something starchy, and I'll be bloated and having stabbing abdominal gas pains a few hours later! And it's isn't a gluten issue because it's anything made with wheat, corn, potatoes...

But, things change over time. Nothing used to give me gas when I was earlier out. I would say around 9-12 months, I started noticing some gas issues, and it's actually gotten a bit worse with time. I'm now to the point that I carry Gas-X Prevention in my purse with me everywhere I go just in case, but I normally just avoid starchy carbs in general.
beemerbeeper
on 4/20/11 1:36 am - AL
I've not eaten a potato chip since surgery.  I cut those carbs out of my diet and just never added them back.

What gives me gas:  sugar alcohols (the "itols"), gluten (it is hidden everywhere) and lactose.

I would stay away from the junk food if you are in your weight loss phase if I were you.

~Becky

bass_girl
on 4/20/11 1:48 am
I am usually really good about my diet.   Though I get curious and wonder if this food will be ok or not.   I was lactose intolerant before surgery.   However, I seem to tolerate cheeses better now and even regular milk.   But the heavy cream or yogurt still make me sick.   Strange.   Its like living in someone else's body.     I am glad summer is around the corner.   I love to grill.   I am just now able to tolerate chicken also.   It sits well and I love it!!    Makes it easier to order at a restaurant also.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 432 views