Minor aches and pains. What should I take?

sbp7
on 4/25/11 1:30 am - Munster, IN
I haven't taken any type of pain killer since th week of my surgery. Lately, my back has been bothering me and occasionally, I have a headache. I have been aprehensive about taking anything.

What have you had success with? Is our sleeve more sensitive to otc pain killers? Anything we should avoid all together?

Thinking Aleve? Ibuprophen? Excedrine? etc.
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

MsBatt
on 4/25/11 2:24 am
I have severe arthritis, and have since I was 20 years old. I've taken Aleve 2-3 times A DAY since I was one month post-DS, over seven years ago. I've always had a cast-iron stomach, both pre- and post-op.
teachmid
on 4/25/11 3:10 am - OKC, OK
I take Advil.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

elixir
on 4/25/11 6:17 am, edited 4/25/11 6:19 am - MI
 I spoke w/my surgeon on Friday and he said that w/DS I would be able to continue taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) post-op. I love Motrin for back pain.
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

amccu18007
on 4/25/11 6:22 am - Newark, DE
I have taken Advil and Alieve both of which worked for me and I had no problem with them that I know of.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

goodkel
on 4/25/11 6:55 am
I take rx strength ibuprofen, but rarely.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

kat08
on 4/25/11 3:06 pm - Matthews, NC
Let me preface this by saying that I am still pre-op. ;)

I like Advil.  I think it works better for pain but it tends to upset my lower GI tract so this is what I do and it seems to work quite well:  1 Advil & 1 extra strengthTylenol.  I don't like to take much Tylenol b/c of research w/liver damage, etc. and it, on its own, doesn't do that well for my pains but, with an Advil, it works great...and I don't have the gastric distress that 2 Advil caused me.

HTH
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
Kayla B.
on 4/25/11 11:02 pm - Austin, TX
I always like exedrine for headaches, because it has a combo of things in it and has really never let me down.

For muscle pain, you don't really need the caffeine in there, so I'd probably stick to ibuprofen.

Just be careful on dosing and only take the minimum amount required for resolution of symptoms.  We did have a case of someone taking massive doses of ibuprofen for severe pain that developed one helllll of an ulcer that lead to a leak and a whole host of crappy problems and lead to not being able to take anything by mouth for several weeks (maybe months?), etc, etc.

You can take it with food to avoid queasiness if that is a concern for you.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 564 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 952 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 324 views