Need Family Friendly Meal Ideas....

adkmtngirl
on 5/4/11 9:15 am - Brant Lake, NY
 I took my boys for allergy tests today and both of them are showing strong reactions to dairy! So, we are on a 4 week total elimination diet for dairy, then I can let them each try cows milk again. 

So, my problem is that a lot of times for dinner I make things with cheeses, to up the protein count and because I love yummy cheese. We eat Brok's Pizza weekly! Now what am I going to do??? 

Are their non dairy cheeses? Do they melt properly?  It feels funny asking these questions, because in the past we had to stay totally away from soy because of my daughter (who still can't have too much of it). Snacks are the hardest because the boys and I usually snack on cheese sticks, yogurt & cottage cheese. Those are also mainstays on any dinner plate for them as well. 

Help!!!!!!!!!!!  I had no idea how many foods have hidden whey in them, which also has to be eliminated for the first week at least, then they can be added in. 
Kristina

PattyL
on 5/4/11 9:33 am
 Go buy the biggest pork butt you can find.  I buy mine at Sam's Club.  Stick it in your crockpot for 8 or 10 hours.  Drain off the fat, remove the bones, and shred with 2 forks.  Add BBQ sauce.  Great snack or meal with no dairy.  You can have yours plain and others can have it on bread if they chose.
adkmtngirl
on 5/4/11 9:57 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Thanks! That sounds good, I have a pork butt in the freezer right now!
Kristina

"Just Elizabeth "
on 5/4/11 9:47 am - Houston, TX
I have a very easy, 3 ingredient crock pot recipes.

Chicken Soup

Chicken (how ever much of whatever parts you want to use. I us thighs)
1 jar of salsa (If you normally eat mild use medium)
32 ounces of chicken stock

Put it in the crock pot on low and come back in 6-8 hours.

Chicken and stuffing (not DS friendly but easy family friendly)

I also have 3 other very easy 3 ingredient recipes but one of the ingredients is cream of mushroom soup. If you want them, let me know.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

adkmtngirl
on 5/4/11 9:59 am - Brant Lake, NY
This soup sounds good! 

I'd love the other recipe, I may be able to make a homemade cream of mush soup and reduce it down. I wonder how it would work with soy milk for the base? 
Kristina

"Just Elizabeth "
on 5/4/11 10:40 am, edited 5/5/11 2:23 am - Houston, TX

I really can't answer you about soy milk as I've never had it and I don' really know anything about it.

Chicken and stuffing (Not  DS friendly but definitely family friendly)

chicken (how many and what ever parts you like. I use thighs)
2 boxes chicken flavored stuffing mix
2 cans cream of mushroom soup

Mix the stuffing and soup and put in the bottom of the crock pot. Put the chicken over it. You can season the chicken if you want to but you do not have to.

Put in the **** pot set to low and and come back in 6-8 hours.

It is very important that you do NOT add water and that you ABSOLUTELY put the stuffing on the bottom of the crockpot.)

Chicken Salsa (Thank the lovely Jillybean for this recipe)

chicken (Again I use thighs)
salsa (enough to cover the chicken but not drown it)
1 brick of cream cheese

Put in the **** pot set to low and and come back in 6-8 hours.

Beef Roast

beef roast (however big you want)
1 envelope Lipton soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Mix the soup and soup mix together and pour over the roast. Put in the **** pot set to low and and come back in 6-8 hours.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Kayla B.
on 5/4/11 10:03 am - Austin, TX
There are vegan cheeses, I've heard some are definitely better than others.  I don't think they are necessarily high in protein at all.  I think some of them are actually mostly carbohydrate based.

Is there a protein for them that they like that you can substitute?  Maybe edamame, roasted vegetables, beans?

You could use this time to get them to try a new food each night.  I realize it's difficult.  I'd definitely include them in the meal planning so they can at least feel like they are part of the process and not being "forced" to eat these new foods.  Maybe have them pick out a vegetable to try.  I cooked kale chips with some elementary kids a couple weeks ago and they went nuts for them.

For snacks, I was thinking of something kids like to dunk.  Carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, sugar snap peas, etc dipped in hummus, vinaigrette, or guacamole.

flourless peanut butter cookies are dairy and soy free :)

Other ideas: various nuts, fruits, hulled sunflower seeds, beef jerky, soy nuts, popcorn, vegan puddings/yogurts.

I know I gave you some soy ideas...I wasn't sure how tolerant your daughter was.

Here's a cool website:
http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/
You can make a profile with your families allergies and it will note when recipes are risky.

Another consideration is to make sure they are getting adequate calcium without dairy.  Kids are recommended to get between 800-1300mg/day (depending on age)  Here's a good list:
http://www.godairyfree.org/Health-Info/Calcium/Dairy-Free-Ca lcium-Chart.html
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
jewel506
on 5/4/11 10:28 am - Houston, TX
 Kristina,

Not sure of your grocery situation - but there are goat's milk and/or sheep's milk cheeses you may be able to try after your week off dairy.

Many people who are allergic to cow's milk CAN drink/eat goat's milk and/or sheep's milk - the cheeses are tasty and high in protein.

There is also goat's milk butter, yogurt, etc....

As far as family friendly meals without cheese - how about a good old fashioned pot roast??  Lots of tender, juicy meat for you - and additional veggies for the rest of the family!  :-)

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

"Just Elizabeth "
on 5/4/11 10:47 am - Houston, TX
I can't believe I forgot this one.

Pork Roast

1 pork roast
a package of soup mix veggies. The Kroger's grocery stores have good fresh ones.

Put everything in a big dutch oven. Cover with water (I also throw in a couple of chicken stock cubes) Put on low and come back 6-8 hours later.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1005 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1185 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 472 views