OT: Newbie, just saying "Hi." :)

dranoa
on 5/16/11 2:01 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Greetings! 

I've been watching these boards on/off for a few months now. Having contemplated having a bariatric procedure for the past couple of years, the timing (and insurance package we opted for this year) seemed right, and I am now following the neccessary steps to have this life changing tool.

Thank you all for your valuable insight and wonderful links. I am certain I'll be asking questions that have been posed and answered hundreds of times before, but you all seem to be quite patient and willing to help out.

I have selected Dr. David Greenbaum in southern NJ to perform my surgery, and have been working with Tina (the DS coordinator in his office) to ensure all the neccessary documenation is in place to present my case to the insurance company. I am so hopeful that I will have this procedure before the summers out! 

Anyways, just dropping in to say "Hi!"

MajorMom
on 5/16/11 6:43 pm - VA
Welcome!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

airbender
on 5/16/11 7:21 pm
welcome to the site and you new future health.....
marriedmom
on 5/16/11 7:57 pm - Middleville, MI
Nice to meet you and hope your journey goes smoothly!
  5'1.5  HW 280 pre-op 270  GW 150  CW 147

Julie R.
on 5/16/11 10:35 pm - Ludington, MI
Congratulations on making a smart choice and choosing a fine surgeon for your upcoming DS.   This is going to be the ride of your life.     Welcome into the hallowed halls of the DS board!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Elizabeth N.
on 5/17/11 12:04 am, edited 5/17/11 12:05 am - Burlington County, NJ
Howdy :-). Dr. Greenbaum is a fine surgeon and a downright decent human being. I'm very fond of him and he's the guy I'll run to if I have a problem urgent enough that I can't hop in the car and head to Scranton to see my surgeon, Dr. Peters.

You need to know that he sucks the big one when it comes to supplementation and PREVENTION (and treatment, for that matter) of nutritional deficiencies. His point of view is to wait until a deficiency develops and then treat it....cautiously. I am watching a beloved friend go through all kinds of misery because she believes his word without critical consideration when it comes to supplements. Her D got to ZERO and he's given her prescription D2 (which we do not absorb because it's in a fat form, and even if we absorbed it, we can't convert it to usable D) at 50K IU daily for "just a few weeks." There are other things as well.

Use him for your surgery. Make connections through the support group both online and in 3d. But come here to learn how you need to supplement. Use Vitalady's special dry products for the fat soluble vites at minimum, and use large doses. Dr. G. will squeak with worry. He's wrong on that score and his patient nutrition results show it--for those patients who even bother with followup. This is a problem. Don't be that way.

dranoa
on 5/17/11 2:31 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Thank you for this very helpful advice. I appreciate the information regarding Dr. G. As he is located rather far from me, I had anticpated using a more local Dr. for aftercare as well as utilizing the resources I find on these boards.

I am currently working with a nutritionist and my GP to get my bloodwork back to stable, as I have a history of struggling with an Iron Deficiency, which has become more acute following a surgical procedure I had in March. I have quite a bit of homework ahead of me, as I need fully understand my bloodwork and the way my body processes the supplements I take.

I have been reading many references to Vitalady, and will become more familar with their prodcucts. I have been using prescribed Iron (325mg) with B-12 twice a day in addition to my over the counter GNC products Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, Woman's Mega Multi-Vitamin, and Vitamin D-3 5000 UI (2x a day).

Thanks for the welcome and the insight!
Fade2Pink
on 5/17/11 12:10 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Welcome and congrats on choosing such a great surgery, and surgeon.  I hope we get to know a lot more about you!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

ghkan
on 5/17/11 12:43 am - Comstock Park, MI
 Welcome!!    

dranoa
on 5/17/11 2:33 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all as I know these boards will be a place of information, understanding and support! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1027 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 485 views