Cravin' Taters? Try some eggplant :) Step by step + photos

Kayla B.
on 6/2/11 10:54 am, edited 6/2/11 10:57 am - Austin, TX
This is one of my favorite recipes lately.  I really do get a potato vibe from this recipe, especially since I dip my eggplant in ketchup!

Step 1: Pick out your eggplant.  If you've never done it...well, now's the time!  It'll be kinda heavy, not wrinkly, and have a lovely purple color.

Step 2: Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.  Roasting is deeeelish.

Step 3. Spread out some foil on a baking sheet for easy clean up.  I used non-stick here.  I also sprayed a bit with canola oil and sprinkle the baking sheet with some salt.

Step 4: Cut it up!  I slice in half lengthwise, then put it cut side down and make half-moons, but you can cube it, or cut rounds, or whatever.

The goofy pear-looking thing is a chayote squash, which is also yummy roasted.  In fact, I'm pretty sure everything tastes good roasted.

*some people don't like the flavor/texture of the skin.  If you are one of those people, you can remove it.  I think it's lovely...and can't be bothered to remove it :)

Step 5: Arrange on your pan, and add additional spices on top.  Options include: italian seasoning, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder.  Or...just plain salt n' pepper!

*note: if you have never prepared eggplant: it can sometimes have lots of seeds, don't worry they are edible and you probably won't notice them later.  I have found that some have more seeds than others and I don't know how to tell which have seeds and which don't from the outside.
Step 6: wait for your oven to finish pre-heating.  Once it beeps, I rip off a couple paper towels or regular towels and blot the eggplant.  It has a lot of moisture, so when you add salt, let it sit a few minutes to draw out moisture so you can blot it with your towel.  Then flip over and blot the other side.

Step 7:  Bake bake bake!  I like to check it after about 15 minutes, then flip them over, then then it go for another 10.  Gets 'em nice and brown and tateriffic on both sides :)

Step 8:  You know what to do!

CIMG4668.jpg

This really satisfies my french fry craving.  I use the low sugar ketchup that heinz puts out...and it's yummy.  My dad is a diet-food hater and he's eaten it without knowing it's low-sugar.

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
BBoop
on 6/2/11 11:07 am
That looks good...do you know how many carbs the eggplant has?  I don't know cause I've never looked.

B
Kayla B.
on 6/2/11 11:26 am, edited 6/2/11 11:27 am - Austin, TX
If you eat the whole thing (which I do, but most probably won't...lol)

32g carb(19g of which are fiber), 6g protein.  132 calories.

Compared to a potato, which is half the size:

63g carb(7g fiber), 7g protein, 278 calories.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
a_new_mii
on 6/2/11 11:53 am - AZ
 Kayla,
That looks delish!  I have so been craving  french fries! I've just been indulging in a few every once in a while, maybe now I won't have to.  can't wait to try these.

Thank you, 
Ginger  
Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/2/11 12:54 pm
Oh I love eggplant. Thank you for the recipe :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 1:12 pm
On June 2, 2011 at 5:54 PM Pacific Time, Kayla B. wrote:
This is one of my favorite recipes lately.  I really do get a potato vibe from this recipe, especially since I dip my eggplant in ketchup!

Step 1: Pick out your eggplant.  If you've never done it...well, now's the time!  It'll be kinda heavy, not wrinkly, and have a lovely purple color.

Step 2: Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.  Roasting is deeeelish.

Step 3. Spread out some foil on a baking sheet for easy clean up.  I used non-stick here.  I also sprayed a bit with canola oil and sprinkle the baking sheet with some salt.

Step 4: Cut it up!  I slice in half lengthwise, then put it cut side down and make half-moons, but you can cube it, or cut rounds, or whatever.

The goofy pear-looking thing is a chayote squash, which is also yummy roasted.  In fact, I'm pretty sure everything tastes good roasted.

*some people don't like the flavor/texture of the skin.  If you are one of those people, you can remove it.  I think it's lovely...and can't be bothered to remove it :)

Step 5: Arrange on your pan, and add additional spices on top.  Options include: italian seasoning, basil, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder.  Or...just plain salt n' pepper!

*note: if you have never prepared eggplant: it can sometimes have lots of seeds, don't worry they are edible and you probably won't notice them later.  I have found that some have more seeds than others and I don't know how to tell which have seeds and which don't from the outside.
Step 6: wait for your oven to finish pre-heating.  Once it beeps, I rip off a couple paper towels or regular towels and blot the eggplant.  It has a lot of moisture, so when you add salt, let it sit a few minutes to draw out moisture so you can blot it with your towel.  Then flip over and blot the other side.

Step 7:  Bake bake bake!  I like to check it after about 15 minutes, then flip them over, then then it go for another 10.  Gets 'em nice and brown and tateriffic on both sides :)

Step 8:  You know what to do!

CIMG4668.jpg

This really satisfies my french fry craving.  I use the low sugar ketchup that heinz puts out...and it's yummy.  My dad is a diet-food hater and he's eaten it without knowing it's low-sugar.

Thanks for the recipe. I will make this tomorrow.
beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 2:47 pm - AL
Eggplant and low sugar catsup are on the next grocery list.  Thanks Kayla. Keep your ideas commin' 'cause they are GREAT.

~becky

airbender
on 6/2/11 6:36 pm
thanks for the recipe, looks great, they must be soggy or do they crisp up?  I am going to try them.   I saw a recipe for butternut squash french fries on TV, said they taste like sweet potato fries, never tried them?  wondering if anyone has? 
Kayla B.
on 6/2/11 9:41 pm - Austin, TX
They were getting mushy when I was adding oil to them, so I switched to just the nonstick spray and that's plenty for the fat source.  Just keep an eye so they don't burn.  They get crispy on the outside, but kinda chewy on the inside.  Not exactly like fries, so I wouldn't expect to bite down and taste potato, but I like the act of the dipping and chewing.

Butternut squash is actually on the starchy side, so I'm sure those fries are delicious/nutritious, just keep the starchiness in mind if you are counting carbs :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 8:09 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yum!  I also will shred up zucchini or make "noodles" of it with my spirooli, put some real butta or "I can't believe is a petroleum product" spray on it, some seasoning (usually Chicago Steak seasoning, lemon pepper, or lime chili powder), mix it together and put it in a heaping patty on the George F. Grill for about 10 minutes.

Its makes a huge crispidy hash browny pile of deliciousness! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 624 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 984 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 334 views