I wanna hear from all the DSer "shorties" out there...

morgangirl
on 6/6/11 12:09 am - MI
I'm only 5 feet tall.  Currently I weight 140 lbs, so I've lost about 90 lbs in 11 months.

I know height shouldn't play into whether or not someone reaches goal, but I would like to hear form other vertically challenged DSers on whether they find (or found) it hard to reach their goal weight.  Being short (and fat) is all I've ever known, so that is the reason why I am particularly interested in other shorty's successes and struggles.

I don't think my window of losing is closed yet, but with this last stall lasting so long, I believe I may have stopped losing.  My surgeon said he was making my common channel a little longer than normal since I didn't have "hundreds" of pounds to lose and he didn't want me to have the problem of getting too thin - that doesn't look like it will ever be a problem.   I had wanted to lose about 20 more pounds to help when I bounce up a little like everyone does before they 'settle'.

Major Mom is one of the few that I can recall off the top of my head that is also short and has done great at getting to goal. 

Does anyone that is a shorty, like me, have any advice or experience they want to share?
Caleña M.
on 6/6/11 1:03 am
I don't have advice or experience but am interested in seeing responses.  I myself am 5 1/2" and also wonder if I will get to "my goal".  I had the sleeve last July and lost 32 lbs, and had the 2nd part of the ds on 4/21/11 and lost 16.5 lbs since.   Everyone is telling me I am getting skinny, but at 5 1/2, and weighing 184 I hardly call that skinny.   I would like to reach 130 as my goal.  I carry most of my weight in the hips and butt and upper legs, so I am wondering if I take up running at some point this will all slim out.

Janine

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
morgangirl
on 6/8/11 2:13 am - MI
Hi Janine -
I hope you gain some good advice/info from this post too!  Good luck to you.
dogma2karma
on 6/6/11 1:09 am - Suburbia, CA
I'm less of a shorty after my DS since my height increased from 5'2" to 5'3" after losing about 100 pounds. At 11 months post op, I'd advise keeping to the basics, water, protein, vites, food logging, low carbing and keep moving. having some wiggle room to deal with regain is a good strategy, I think. Also, keep reevaluating your goal. What seemed like a good goal a year ago my be off a bit now that you see, feel and live what minus 90 pounds is really like and how your health has been affected. Do you need to lose more to keep co-morbids at bay or for some other reason?
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
morgangirl
on 6/8/11 2:10 am - MI
I think the only reason I'd like to lose more is for the "wiggle room" it affords me.  I honestly like the way I look and feel, but then again I'd probably like the way I look and feel 20 lbs thinner too!
dogma2karma
on 6/6/11 1:17 am - Suburbia, CA
Technically, I could lose 4-5 more pounds to reach my original "goal."  But I am completely healthy, recovered from all my scary comorbidities, am unbelievably active compared to pre-op, and when I do laundry, I cant believe how tiny my clothes are.  My BMI is firmly in the healthy range even with the fair amount of excess skin.

I found that the hardest part about being a shorty is that we have to move more to get he same effect.  But being over 100 pounds lighter makes it so very much easier to exercise that it is not a huge deal.  I just have to dedicate time to my health and be sure to get in my exercise as an important priority for ever.
259.5/227.5/122/118
8.5 months post DSNormal BMI, woohoo!
MajorMom
on 6/6/11 1:39 am - VA
Hi there! Yeah I made normal BMI by 6 months post-op but it took another 5 to get to goal....v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.  Keep after it. Reduce your carbs and increase your protein shakes and fluids. You can do it!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

morgangirl
on 6/8/11 2:11 am - MI
Hi Gina -
Thanks for finding this post and replying. 

I still have hope now that maybe I'm not at my lowest yet!
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 1:41 am - Bayonne, NJ
I am a shortie. Never made it to goal post-RNY, made it to and past my RNY goal with the DS revision, but didn't exactly make it to the doctor's goal. I'm not worried, I am healthy, and I appreciate still having a butt, lol. I think my metabolism was completely shot post-RNY, and I have PCOS on top of it, so losing was always difficult. I fluctuate between 160-170, and I'm 5'3" now. Was 5'2" when I was 328.
morgangirl
on 6/8/11 2:14 am - MI
Thanks for responding with your story.  Way to go!  Keep on shakin' that booty!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 940 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1154 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 407 views