Experience with UIC DS Surgical Program??

ThisIsMyUserName
on 6/6/11 11:31 pm
Hello,

Longtime lurker who has decided to get the DS. I reside outside of Chicago and checked DS Facts and only two surgeons are listed as performing the DS in Illinois. They are both listed as being at The University of Chicago. However the University of ILLINOIS (UIC) lists the DS as one of their procedures. Are they easy to work with? Are the surgeons considered vets around here (around here meaning the OH boards?
larra
on 6/6/11 11:39 pm - bay area, CA
I've never heard of any surgeons doing the DS in Chicago except for Drs. Prachand and Alverdy. It would be helpful if you had the name of a proported DS surgeon at UIC, and if you do speak with them, better ask who does them and how many and how often. I have my doubts.
    And that's with over 5 years of experience on this forum. Never heard of them doing a single DS. If the DS is what you want, be careful of any doc or program that lists the DS and then tries to talk you into something else when you get there. We see that a lot.

Larra
Nicolle
on 6/7/11 1:44 am
I do not know a single person who has gone through the UIC program for a DS. I think they now do the VSG. As of even just a year ago those asshats were telling people the DS was "too dangerous, blah, blah" (which if you hang out here long enough, you will learn that is code for "we do not know how to do a DS so we will just tell people it's scary so that they will buy the **** we offer instead.") I would tread very carefully and ask how many they have done, etc. Think about the level of risk you personally can accept.

As to the U of C program. Let's just put it this way, and this is only MY opinion. I could have had my DS in Chicago. I live here. I traveled to San Fran to have Dr. Rabkin do mine. He hosts Chicago support groups and he comes here several times a year for them. He is awesome. His patients have stellar results and very few compications. www.paclap.com

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

ThisIsMyUserName
on 6/7/11 5:15 am
http://www.uic.edu/com/surgery/general/programs_bariatric.htm

Thanks for the information. I posted the link in case someone else wants to pursue or follow up with them. Traveling for surgery is not an option. We are a one income family and my gut says soon even that income will be gone. I have started down the U OF C path but find them incredibly difficult to deal with. My fear is that our income and by extention insurance will have ended by the time I finish tangling with Dr. Alverdy and his wretched staff.

An example of their silliness-Telling patients at the informational session to start on their supervised diets. 12 weeks is their program requirement.  Appointments with the surgeons are 3-4 months out. Patient is told after meeting the surgeon of a SPECIFIC required weight loss, in my case it was 20lbs. They require this be lost DURING the supervised diet. Which...will ilkely be complete or almost complete by the time the surgeon decides how much weight to have patient lose.

Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/11 7:12 am
When I first thought of revision I contacted U of Chi's program.  To say I got the run around would be a bit of an understatement.  They wouldn't even give me much info on the phone and they really clammed up when I said I was pursuing revision as a self pay.

Safe to say when I can revise I'll be travelling.
ThisIsMyUserName
on 6/8/11 10:34 am
Michelle,

U of C is a friggin nightmare! I have lurked and read other peoples posts about how it gets easier to work with them the further along the process you get.... I find that soo untrue.  The only positive thing I can say is the clinic coordinator is relatively quick to respond to emails. I've nevr waited more than 12 hours for her response. Including weekends. Pretty gosh darned impressive, I have to be honest. Problem is the information she provides is not exactly....accurate and doesnt seem to hold true for very long. Honestly, as someone who 100% done with pre op req's and still dealing with their silliness,  I STRONGLY second your opinion of going elsewhere.. I wish u the best of luck with your revision!!! Sending vibes of strength, good health and a smooth surgery your way!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 435 views