XP: Low albumin results in fluid accumulation around lungs?? Anyone seen this before?...

KathyA999
on 7/11/11 7:57 am
I posted this on the MB but thought I'd run by you DS-ers, you definitely have more experience with  lab values, and what physical results can occur. 

So as a reward for reaching my goal weight, I landed in the hospital this weekend.  For the past couple weeks I've had a severe pain in the center of my chest, right about the breastbone.  It hurt to breath, eat, drink, lay down, sit up, lean over to pick something up, etc.  After a battery of tests, it turns out I have fluid accumulation around my lungs.  They tapped about 300 ml (looked like about a cup and a half) from the left lung and sent it off to analyze, full results will be back in about a week.

The only lab value they can hang their hat on, right now, is low albumin, in the 3's according to the pulmonologist.  He didn't tell me the actual value, and I was too doped up on pain meds to think to ask.  My previous labs show albumin has been trending down, something I missed.  It went from 4.4 at surgery, to 3.8 in December, and now "in the 3s" although I'll need to find out exactly what that value is.   He said he thinks the fluid is an inflammatory response to the low albumin.  I didn't have my laptop with me so couldn't do a lot of research on here about low albumin, but didn't remember anyone reporting this particular result of low albumin.  He has me on a short course of low-dose steriod, which does seem to be helping, I came home today and the pain is pretty much gone.  I didn't ask about pre-albumin and protein values, but will review them when I see the full lab report.  (In the hospital you have to get an act of congress to get a copy of your lab reports.)

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I go back to the pulmonologist for a follow-up visit in a week, at which time I'll request a copy of the full lab report so I can compare it to my previous labs, but just wanted a gut-check from this community in the meantime.  It's odd because I'm usually so rigorous about getting my protein, vites, supps, and water.  A couple months ago I did switch to a protein supplement that isn't 100% whey isolate, because it tastes better, and that's going right out the window, back to my 100% whey isolate for sure, but not sure what else I can do.  As a VSG-er, I get 70-90 gms of protein a day, which I believed to be sufficient.  I'm not an exerciser by any means, so don't have a need for super-protein intake.

Thoughts?

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/11 8:56 am
You need to consult another physician if the pulmonologist doesn't follow up appropriately to find out wtf is causing the low  albumin. Malnutrition is only one reason albumin can be low. There are a myriad of other reasons that can be ruled out by the appropriate physicians.

Please continue to aggressively figure out what is causing the low albumin and the accumulation of fluid.

Hugs,
Ratkity
KathyA999
on 7/11/11 9:18 am
Thank you!  I've been doing some research on the Interwebz.  Apparently inflammatory response can cause low albumin (not the other way around), so need to find out what could be creating the inflammatory response.  They did mention potential auto-immune issues such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, or even a virus, bacteria, or parasite.  More to come!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

vitalady
on 7/11/11 10:29 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Low albumin/protein usually starts with edema at the ankles and gradually moves up the body. So, yes, that CAN be a reason for your issue now, but then, I think you might have mentioned the progression of it up your body.

If it didn't progress like that, I'd be looking into a buncha elsewheres, interwebz, books or other docs.

If your protein is a whey blend, it's fine. You do not have to use isolate unless you prefer it. But please do stick with whey-something.

As a sleeve, you are not malabsorbing your protein in supplements, so I doubt quality is the issue for you.

Potassium-calcium-magnesium all nice and balanced? If not, your heart can get all disorganized and not do its job properly.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Linda .
on 7/11/11 12:00 pm - Gilroy, CA
I wasn't able to get anything down for about 11 days after leaving the hospital.  It caused low albumin which then caused adema.  My legs were very swollen.  I dropped 24 lbs within 2 and a half weeks of going on a diuretic.
Linda .
on 7/11/11 12:01 pm - Gilroy, CA
fyi, the original problem was from ulcers at the stoma site of my revision of my gastric bypass.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 565 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 952 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 324 views