When should I start my vitamins??

Amy_Kleve
on 7/14/11 5:50 am - Adrian, MN
I received my DS starter pack today, thank you Vitalady!

When should I start the vitamin schedule?

Would it be best to start a week or 2 before surgery and then continue 7 days post-op? Or should I just wait until 7 days post-op???

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

beemerbeeper
on 7/14/11 5:53 am - AL
Did you have pre-op deficiencies?  If so you might want to start on those asap.  Otherwise I think you can wait and after surgery start working up towards the full schedule.

Amy_Kleve
on 7/14/11 6:18 am - Adrian, MN
Nope, I don't think I have any deficiencies. I will wait until after surgery. Thanks

Heather E.
on 7/14/11 6:15 am
I wouldn't worry about starting them as a pre-op, unless you have some definciencies.  A lot of us are pretty vitamin D-deficient pre-op, in which case it is great if you can try to get that number up before surgery.

From my experience, you are probably not going to be able to start taking your vitamins so early post-op.  I couldn't handle swallowing pills at all until I was about a month out.  I just kept gagging on them no matter what I did.  Then suddenly, *poof* I could take them.  It just depends on when you can start handling them.  The other thing to consider besides being able to swallow them is how your stomach is going to react.  My best advice is to take it slow at first and work yourself up to taking the whole regimen.  I know that I was super worried about not being able to take everything all at once, and the wise ones here told me that our bodies keep stores of vitamins around for awhile, so not to fret if I had to work myself up to the whole routine.  It's true - looking back on my labs from two weeks out, 4 weeks out, and six weeks out - there's not much of a variance in any of the numbers.  So don't stress yourself out - give your body time to heal, and then worry about the vitamins!!

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Amy_Kleve
on 7/14/11 6:19 am - Adrian, MN
Sounds like a plan!
I got mostly chewable vitamins, so I hope that will help

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1023 views
calcium/protein