Attn: Revisions from band to DS'ers....

Amy_Kleve
on 7/16/11 1:32 pm - Adrian, MN
I'm getting really nervous about my up-coming revision surgery in almost 2 weeks.
I'm wondering how different the DS will feel from my band. I'm affraid I will still be hungry all the time, only will be harder to eat for some reason.

Could band to DS'ers tell me the differences that you experienced between the 2 surgeries, if any?

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

airbender
on 7/16/11 10:04 pm
this will be difficult for you to gauge as everyone's experience is different.  depending on what kind of damage you have from the band will have a significant impact on your vsg.  for me I have so much damage that my esophogeal architecture has sustained permanent irreversible damage, you results will depend on your esophogeal health.  Post DS I was immediately drinking 8 oz of H20 in the hospital, no issue, while the other DSer in my room was struggling to drink a medicine cup of water-same surgeon etc..  at 3 weeks I was eating protein etc no issues.   to date I have never vomited (from vomiting everyday before) I don't have pain, I don't slime, no pbing, no pain in my chest.  I had lost my sense of normalcy.  I no longer have any restriction and lost my sense of "fullness" or what I have equated to that.  I don't eat to be full, with the DS I have never been full, but not hungry either.  I have never had any issues eating or drinking, never scared that if I eat something I will have a pain that will be there for hours or days. I could eat a significant amount more than I do, but I would like to lose 10-15 lbs that I put on with my explant(s).  don't worry about if you can eat, usually lap banders especially those that have had the band for many years that is not an issue, actually it is the opposite.....the DS has returned my sense of normalcy, and I am no longer sick everyday.   wishing you well with your revision..... 
Amy_Kleve
on 7/17/11 2:35 am - Adrian, MN
What a relief! I'm sorry you had to go through all that with the band. I'm currently going through it. Sitting here typing while eggs are stuck in my throat
I just can't wait to get this band off. August 2nd can't come soon enough. I'm definitely nervous though! I can't wait to feel normal again! Thanks for your info

Janine P.
on 7/17/11 1:10 am - Long Island, NY
Hi Amy,

In the beginning, I wasn't hungry at all.  I couldn't eat a whole 6 ounce yogurt in one sitting (maybe I polished off 4 ounces of it at the most.) 

The biggest change I've noticed - I get full faster, but I'm hungry often.  The food I eat "wears off" quicker.  I eat every 3 hours now.  Maybe 4 hours.  It's because your tummy didn't get much to begin with, and it works like a normal stomach (because it is), so you empty out the smaller amount of food and bam - you're hungry.

Don't let it scare you though.  You'll be amazed at how little you can it. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Amy_Kleve
on 7/17/11 2:35 am - Adrian, MN
I cant wait to feel full again! Thanks for your input

Ann M.
on 7/17/11 6:07 am - GA
I'm only 4 weeks out but . . .

In the immediate post-op period I was starving. However my surgeon requires liquids for a little over 3 weeks so I think that had something to do with it for me. Now that I am on blended foods I am rarely hungry and have to pay attention to make sure I am getting enough protein in (I am having some protein shake intolerance too).

That being said it is nothing like the band. I have not thrown up. I know when to stop eating. And I am not starving. And when I do get hungry, I can eat. I also have no problems getting in my liquids not even from day one. I don't know if it is because I had esophageal dilation or not but I can drink with no problems. (And I can tell the water is going right through because I like it ice cold and I can feel it).

BTW, eggs go down no problem now.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Amy_Kleve
on 7/17/11 9:41 am - Adrian, MN
I'm SO GLAD to hear everything is going much better with the DS!

Jersey Girl
on 7/17/11 6:42 am
I'm 4 months out from my revision and it's wonderful.  The probably I had with my band was that food would feel stuck in my chest, especially protein.  Not anymore.  The amount of food it takes to get full can vary from day to day.  An average day for me:

Venti SF vanilla latte from Starbucks.  This makes me stuff, but it passes quickly.  7:30am

About 30-60 minutes later, 2 scrambled eggs with cheese.  Again....very satisfied. 8:30am

I'm getting hungry.......1 package of sunflower seed kernals 10 am.  Satisfied.

It's lunch time and I'm hungry.  Typically 1 can of tuna with mayo or a cobb salad.  12:30pm... FULL.  Takes a while to eat

3:00pm feeling snackish.  Cashews  or jerky does the trick.

5:00pm....done working, a protein drink for the hour long ride home hits the spot.

7:00pm.....Hungry and ready for dinner.  Taco salad with no shell......FULL....slow eating.

8:30-10pm  evening snack of a crunch granola bar to satisfy sweet tooth.

My eating is much more normal now than with my band.  But I still get full with smaller portions of food.  My 7 y/o stepdaughter easily out eats me when we go out.  In between meals I drink water, take my vites and snack on protein.

Good luck.....and this is a much better quality of life, imo

A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
Amy_Kleve
on 7/17/11 9:45 am - Adrian, MN
Sounds like a dream come true! I also get food stuck constantly, not always to the point of barfing. Just takes a long time to go down. I think thats what the band surgeons call "feeling full" NO WAY! LoL

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 11:01 am - Bayonne, NJ
My revision has been a godsend. Although I was an RNY, I had a permanent band around the stoma, and it caused me to lose almost everything I ate. I was hungry all the time because of barfing, and the only thing I could keep down was simple carbs.

Life is so much better now! I feel full, I can eat without running to the ladies room and throwing up, and I can eat more quality foods. I can eat steak! You have no idea how much that thrills me. From June 2003 - Dec. 2009 I couldn't eat anything dense.

Hang in there. :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 593 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 966 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 327 views