One Month Post-Op (long)

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 9:34 am
Well it's one month ago today since I got my DS and I love it!

I'll get to the numbers right away so you don't have to read through my ramblings lol

In my first month I have lost 32.2 lbs and I am down 17.75 inches off my body overall, woohoo!

I am happy to report that I am meeting the 30-60-90 guideline so far with no problem and that I am doing much better with getting my water in (still challenging though).

Now... I don't want to scare any pre-ops but I think I need to put this out there. I did have a complication after surgery that was kind of serious.

On my 9th day post-op, and the day before I was to fly home, I was rushed back to the hospital. That morning I woke up, went to the washroom like I normally did and then went back to my chair to rest. I couldn't get comfortable, I was in pain and then I felt dizzy. I told my travel buddy "I feel dizzy". I must have passed out because the next thing I know he was pacing back and forth in the hotel room saying "Don't worry, the doctor is on his way." I had no clue what he was talking about. Turns out that I was extremely pale, irregular breathing, my eyes were glazed over and I couldn't focus on anything.

A few minutes later one of the doctors came running up to the hotel room. I remember seeing him come into the room but not really that much. I think he asked me a couple questions but I don't recall. Then I see him on the phone speaking in Spanish with an urgentness to his voice. He then said that the ambulance was on their way.

Within a couple of minutes the ambulance was there and I was being loaded into the back and on the way to the hospital. When I got to the hospital Dr. Ungson and the rest of his team was there waiting for me. I was surrounded by the doctors and nurses immediately and there were about 5 people trying to get an IV started. Unfortunately they weren't able to get any started in my arms so I ended up with one by my collar bone.

A portable ultrasound machine was brought in to check to see if I had a leak or was bleeding but it didn't pick anything up.

I remember that it was getting easier to be alert and I was starting to feel better. I remember apologizing to the staff and also mentioning to Dr. Ungson to not let me die. Then to tell Steve (travel companion) to tell my Mum and Dad that I love them.

Since the U/S didn't pick anything up I was taken for a CT Scan. That showed the bleed and I was immediately taken to the OR to get that sucker fixed.

Once they got in there they had to take out 3 litres of blood that was in my abdomen. After they cleaned it up, they had to raise my blood pressure to see where it was coming from. Eventually they found that an artery near my pancreas had burst.

They got it under control and I was sent to recovery for a while. I stayed there until my blood pressure came up. That took quite a while even though I was on drugs to bring up my blood pressure.

Finally I was taken to my room and was on the road to recovery again!

A couple days later I was told that I was very lucky and that God must have been watching over me because I was really close to kicking the bucket. When the first doctor showed up to the hotel room he took my blood pressure and it was 60/20.

Dr. Ungson and his team have no idea what could have caused this. They've not seen a complication like this so far out from surgery. I guess I should have warned them that I'm a bit of an oddball and weird things happen around me! LoL

Thanks for reading (:
AllieInOntario
on 7/21/11 9:45 am
Glad that you're doing ok now :)

It's sometimes easy to forget that this IS major surgery.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Amy_Kleve
on 7/21/11 9:51 am - Adrian, MN
Oh my gosh, that is scary! I'm glad you are okay! Also, congrats on your success!!!
Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

smileyjamie72
on 7/21/11 9:51 am - Palmer, AK

Glad that you are home, and that your complication is healing up.  Thank GOD for your travel buddy & the doctors!!!!!

Hopefully your oddball thing is over with.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Loretta W.
on 7/21/11 9:56 am - Inland Empire, CA
 I have no words!  

I am so glad they were able to save you ,
 that is so incredibly scary and what an ordeal for you and your travel partner to have to go through.  I am so sorry you had such a serious complication and I am just glad you are recovering safely now.

Whew!

I just feel bad for you but relieved you are posting this update to us instead of somethin worse

Prayers for an uneventful recovery from now on

Loretta

Twyla S.
on 7/21/11 10:38 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Glad everything is ok now and you're on the road to recovery.  It's stuff like that that scares the devil out of me about having this surgery, but it's wonderful to hear that they were able to fix the problem.  Best of luck to you......
teachmid
on 7/21/11 10:51 am - OKC, OK
I'm so glad you survived this frightening situation and that you had such good medical care. Hoping the remainder of your recovery is uneventful.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 11:00 am - Beverly, NJ

Congrats on the loss!

Sorry about the complications.  I'm so glad your ok now though.  Thank goodness you were there when that happened. 

I'm 9 days out today and I keep thinking this is going way too easy.  Luckily they are going so easy.  I can't even imagine going through what you did.  *hugs* glad to have you posting.

elixir
on 7/21/11 11:29 am - MI
Your complication sounds scary. Sorry you had to go through that. Glad to hear you're doing OK now. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

powergirl1
on 7/21/11 11:59 am - Twin Falls , ID
I am 2 and 1/2 months post op and really need people to talk to. I am doing good as far as my surgery goes (76 lbs lost so far but didnt know how to put a past weight on my ticker) but the emotional things that are related to my past eating habits are becoming an issue. I know that things are working the way they are supposed to but I dont have the moral support i thought I would have. I am in an area that the support groups for bariatric patients are once a month and I definatly need more. I have looked into other forums but there seems to be alot of hostility in some of the ones that are out there. Even the others that I visited on this site. Many are too spacific and not relevent to my needs. I just need to know that I can vent and not be judged (constructive critisizm welcome). My friends that were sure to be there for me have quit talking to me and my husband has caught a bad case of bipolar disorder. I feel really alone right now. Please tell me I've found the right place.

Stephanie

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 683 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views