Question for those who use monthly pill organizers

morgangirl
on 7/26/11 12:47 am - MI
I recently started using the monthly pill organizer that I've seen many people here on OH recommend.  I do love it!  But now I have a few "issues" that I wonder if anyone else has run into...

1.  We went camping last week in 90+ degree weather.  I took my weeks worth of pills in their daily little compartments.  I did not refrigerate the vitamins since our little fridge in the camper (or the cooler) was tending to be really damp from the humidity.  Anyway - one or a few of the pills seemed to alter a bit.  My magnesium oxide got little bumps all over it and turned really sour.  Also my vitamin A was all clumped together when I broke open the capsule to see if it was changing.  I'm sure others may have changed but those are the two I noticed.

Anyone notice this also?  I have A/C in my house, but if I didn't I can imagine others must have similar problems in such humid weather.

So are the supplements no good now?

2.  I use a probiotic called Gut Buddies.  When the bottle arrived it has those little packets in the bottle along with the capsules to absorb moisture.  I filled them in my organizer and they clumped together too even before the camping issue.  They got nasty just in the organizer in my air conditioned house.  So can I not put those in my organizer?  What a hassle to still have to carry around bottles with me everywhere I go.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?  Basically I need to know if the meds are no good now they look and taste different and what does everyone else do to get around this issue.
ambermay
on 7/26/11 4:59 am

Could you put a little piece of cotton in each space on your organizer.  It will help to absorb any moisture and keep the pills from reacting with the water in the air...  Only idea I can come up with Good luck!

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

morgangirl
on 7/26/11 6:04 am - MI
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into that. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 5:54 am
 everything on the net will tell you not to expose your vitamins to high heat. Now I don't know if that what happend to yours but I'm sure the moisture did not help it at all. I don't think they turned bad for you but may not be as potent as before.

If you used a small cooler with a icepack in it that may help a lot. Also putting the ones you take with you in a plastic bag and that in a cooler, would work for the high moisture.

I know it's a pain in the rear, but it's just something you need to do.
Just like my DH has to take a small cooler so he can take his insulin supply with him when we travel. 

That's just how it is.
morgangirl
on 7/26/11 6:09 am - MI
Thanks for the response.  I was hoping for something a little easier to help out with an already cramped pop-up camper, but like you said - that's just the way things are.

Oh well - we DSer's have gotta do what we gotta do.

And I am familiar with the insulin having to be kept cool since I was insulin dependant prior to surgery, so I'll just go back to doing what I use to do for my insulin.

Thanks again!
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/11 10:48 am
walter A.
on 7/26/11 11:34 am - lafayette, NJ
some meds are very sensitive to relative humidity, such as paradaxa, the replacement for cumidin, at 325 per month,  i follow the directions and keep it in its own bottle until it needs to be taken. it has a large dehumidifier chamber in it. as a example.  I sort my pills out on a two week scheadule. and i take about 25k dollars worth a year.   humidity matters, and a cooler is not a good place.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views