COBRA and DS Coverage

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 7:13 am
DS on 02/01/12
Out of pure curiosity, has anyone gotten switched while having COBRA?

I previously posted that my husband may be losing his job, and consequently, our insurance. We have a 10 month old and I'm in the pre-op phase, plus my husband has a bad back, so not having insurance is NOT an option for us. COBRA is expensive, we know, but we're willing to sacrifice what we have to in order to get it. I was wondering if they [the insurance company] would deny me and deny appeals because, if - god forbid - hubby gets laid off, we will have COBRA coverage and not regular(?)

I by no means am an insurance guru, so I'm kind of :\ about the whole thing.
Sean_B
on 7/27/11 8:29 am - Schenectady, NY
things MAY be different in the state you live in, but I know here in NY, if you had the benefit while a covered employee, then you have the coverage under COBRA.... all COBRA is, is staying on your employers plan after you're no longer an employee, and the employer no longer pays for the premium.

so if you have the ability to get DS under your hubby's insurance now whily he's working, you'll still have that ability when he leaves if you take the COBRA.

Again... that's here in NY.  I know the availability of COBRA is a federal thing, it may (or may not?) be governed by state insurance regulations.

Good luck

Pre: 324 Now: 185-190 http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v362/171/99/1251208761/n1251208761_30154298_7588.jpg

newyorkbitch
on 7/27/11 9:14 am
COBRA is federal law.  It provides the IDENTICAL coverage to what you had during the employment.
jeff N.
on 7/27/11 1:27 pm - Hagerstown, MD
 I had my DS while on COBRA insurance coverage.  Was just the same coverage as I had by my employer, just that I paid the premiums.
Join us on the July,2012 DS Cruise II, INTERESTED,Contact me.
Link to our FB Cruise page:  
www.facebook.com/home.php
495 HW/ 238 CW/ 225 or wherever GW 

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:32 pm
DS on 02/01/12
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:33 pm
DS on 02/01/12
Thank you all SO much, from the bottom of my heart! I cannot tell you the peace of of mind you have given me. Again, thank you!
ZenSharon
on 7/28/11 3:33 am - SW Ohio
I received approval and had my surgery during the COBRA phase of my insurance.  COBRA here in Ohio lasts for up to 12 months (18 months if other situations apply).  If I were you, I would go ahead and start the process... if your husband gets laid off, you are already ahead.  If he keeps his job, you are already ahead.

Do not let COBRA get in the way... and as someone already pointed out, COBRA is simply a continuation of benefits.  You pay the premium to keep the insurance.  That is it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 940 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1154 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 407 views