2 q's: where do i buy poly-iron in brick mortar in NY? and how to eat clotted cream?

Twi light
on 7/27/11 2:46 pm - NY
I can not find poly-iron in a brick mortar, checked rite aid and walgreens . Anyone know what brick mortars sell  the OTC version? i am in NY if that matters, i know i can order it on amazon, and i have, i am just waiting for it now. 

I have some weird issue, processed food, non high quality food, tastes extremely off to me, its like i can taste the sodium, preservatives, etc.......... had to make a VERY expensive trip to whole foods for organic, cage free eggs from pampered chickens. I know it seems insane but i swear i can taste the difference between the eggs, or i am crazy.  Anyhow, i saw clotted cream, since this is basically fat free now i figured why not try, well what do i do with it?  I know it is popular during high tea with scones and jam but what do i do with it as a DSer.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/27/11 3:26 pm
 First of all, I have to ask where you get clotted cream. We recently stayed at a spa that served high tea with devonshire cream, which we've never had. Apparently clotted cream is the main ingredient.

We refuse to live our lives without it from this point on, and so when I looked to see what/where it was, it is made with clotted cream from Devonshire, with a little sugar and vanilla. We like strawberries dipped in it, but can only find imitations of it here with sour cream, or cream cheese. We need the real thing, and while NY sounds much closer than England to acquire this stuff, its really farther than I should be going just for a snack.

Ok, other stuff. I buy my poly-sach at Costco, but have to order it ahead of time over the counter in Pharmacy, and they usually get it by the next day. It's cheap too. It just went up from $9 to $12 for a box. 

I hate to tell you, but some of us get a super power with our DS. It's the ability to taste every molecule in the universe, even ones wafting out of an outhouse on the other side of the planet. It really is gross. We have exceptionally pure water here, and for the first time in my life, it was too bitter to drink. All water was. I tasted chemicals in everything. I was certain I could taste soap residue on drinking glasses. There was no amount of cleaning and sterilization that would suffice. I hated foods I'd always liked. Your not crazy, but your taste buds are. Many of us had this to varying degrees after surgery, but it gets better. You are right about the processing - the more processed your foods are, the more icky tastes there will be, at least for a while. 

One thing I couldn't just avoid till I got over it was water, so I started to put lemon in my water, or something like that to disguise the flavor with something less offensive.

Twi light
on 7/27/11 3:35 pm - NY
On July 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM Pacific Time, Bearmom wrote:
 First of all, I have to ask where you get clotted cream. We recently stayed at a spa that served high tea with devonshire cream, which we've never had. Apparently clotted cream is the main ingredient.

We refuse to live our lives without it from this point on, and so when I looked to see what/where it was, it is made with clotted cream from Devonshire, with a little sugar and vanilla. We like strawberries dipped in it, but can only find imitations of it here with sour cream, or cream cheese. We need the real thing, and while NY sounds much closer than England to acquire this stuff, its really farther than I should be going just for a snack.

Ok, other stuff. I buy my poly-sach at Costco, but have to order it ahead of time over the counter in Pharmacy, and they usually get it by the next day. It's cheap too. It just went up from $9 to $12 for a box. 

I hate to tell you, but some of us get a super power with our DS. It's the ability to taste every molecule in the universe, even ones wafting out of an outhouse on the other side of the planet. It really is gross. We have exceptionally pure water here, and for the first time in my life, it was too bitter to drink. All water was. I tasted chemicals in everything. I was certain I could taste soap residue on drinking glasses. There was no amount of cleaning and sterilization that would suffice. I hated foods I'd always liked. Your not crazy, but your taste buds are. Many of us had this to varying degrees after surgery, but it gets better. You are right about the processing - the more processed your foods are, the more icky tastes there will be, at least for a while. 

One thing I couldn't just avoid till I got over it was water, so I started to put lemon in my water, or something like that to disguise the flavor with something less offensive.

OMG i been puting lemon in my SMART water!!! That is the only way i down the 33oz bottle easily  within half a day, and  then a second one. It makes getting 66oz almost easy. Lemons maks the flavor even though this water  was the best tasting i could find.

It is freaking CRAZY, lunch meat tatses extremely gross to me now , some foods taste like plastic, everything high in sodium tastes like pure salt. On one hand i am grateful on the other hand shopping at Whole Foods is so pricey.

Whole foods is where i got the clotted cream. But the also have it on amazon.com. It is made in england too so it is the real stuff.  

This is the one i bought it Whole Foods, it is 1$ pricier on amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Cream-Company-Clotted-6oz/dp/B001GQ9YJ0

I dont have a costco membership so i guess i will settle for amazon.com for the iron. I was hoping CVS, Walgreens,Rite aid, etc would carry it.

had_enuf
on 7/27/11 4:54 pm - East Bay, CA
I believe Costco does not require membership to shop the pharmacy only. You might call to check if otherwise Costco is convenient for you.
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

Twi light
on 7/27/11 5:29 pm - NY
On July 27, 2011 at 11:54 PM Pacific Time, had_enuf wrote:
I believe Costco does not require membership to shop the pharmacy only. You might call to check if otherwise Costco is convenient for you.
based on info i found online Costco will fill RX to non members but this stuff is NOT an RX so i am not sure, they have the right to deny as far as i understand, but i iwllg ive them a call and check it out.

I will ask my MIL for a costco cash card, i just want to have the opportunity to have brick and mortar with iron as i was anemic pre DS so i know i am most likely severly anemic now.

newyorkbitch
on 7/28/11 1:44 am
If you are severely anemic you should see a hematologist and get yourself some iron infusions.  Many DSers do not benefit from taking oral iron in any form.

I see a wonderful hematologist in NYC named Dr Perry Cook at NYU who is very familiar with iron and malabsorption issues - and he's a lovely guy.  His nurse,  Tina Feldman,  is competent and helpful.

As far as your tastes are concerned...this will change with time.

As far as other forms of iron are concerned...go into a good pharmacy and ask them to order it for you.  I have done this for example with ADEKs.

had_enuf
on 7/28/11 4:04 am - East Bay, CA
 Just got off the phone with my local Costco. They said you can call in to order and pick-up locally whether or not you are a member. Hopefully you'll get the same response in NY 
       Judy                   HW359/Consult288/SW275          

PattyL
on 7/28/11 2:21 am
 Did you know they make ICE CREAM out of clotted cream?  Decadent but wonderful.  And it's yellow.
NoreenRT
on 7/27/11 8:24 pm - Warner Robins, GA
the first 6-8 weeks of my new ds life everything tasted and smell awful.  smells ranged from stinky to down right rotten fermenting garbage.  and i too could swear i tasted every chemical in food.
i ate because i had to live, not cause i wanted to.  hated my ds for 3+ months.  thankfully that has now changed. 
enjoy your clotted cream.  my welsh nana used to pull out a fresh jar from her english mary poppins type suitcase when she visited us.  we had tea everyday when she was in town.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 1:25 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1046 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1203 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 498 views