Recent post-ops: Eat what works!

goodkel
on 8/2/11 7:41 pm
I've seen several comments in various threads from recent post ops who are struggling with eating, so it bears repeating:

It may take your stomach a long time to heal. At six months out I was still lucky to be able to eat more than 4 or 5 small bites per meal.

If you are having problems, stop expecting a "meal" to consist of more than one or two very small bites. It is normal to eat like this every hour or two all throughout the day for months. Kiss the idea of breakfast, lunch, and dinner goodbye for awhile.

Accept the fact that some things are just not going to suit you and don't force the issue. If the only things that go down easily and comfortably are cottage cheese and tuna, then only eat cottage cheese and tuna. You don't need fruits, vegetables and you definitely don't need anything made with flour. Your vitamins are taking care of you. YOU take care of your new stomach by only giving it the protein it handles comfortably.

Until your body tells you otherwise, eating is only a means of ingesting more protein. It's not going to be emotionally fulfilling.

Yes, this sucks. But, it does pass eventually. You'll only harm yourself by trying to rush the process.

Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MajorMom
on 8/2/11 7:52 pm - VA
~~Amen~~  (not to be taken as supporting or not supporting any formal religion)

You rock, Kelly.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 8/2/11 10:15 pm - OKC, OK
ROFL.......Gina
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

NoMore B.
on 8/2/11 10:06 pm
This is a great post.  Also, just because you cant tolerate something now doesnt mean you wont be able to eat it forever.  I always shake my head when I read a post from someone only a few months out that says "guess I cant eat xxx any longer".  You probably can at some point, just not so soon.,

Throw out any ideas of what a breakfast, lunch, and dinner should be.  For months I ate a scoop of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese every few hours, scrambled eggs for dinner, cheesesticks around the clock, etc. 

Also you may not feel hungry in the same way as you did before surgery. I would actually feel a little queasy when my stomach was empty, so those cheesesticks, as well as some peanut butter made me feel much better.

goodkel
on 8/3/11 5:30 am
On August 3, 2011 at 5:06 AM Pacific Time, Joanne B. wrote:
This is a great post.  Also, just because you cant tolerate something now doesnt mean you wont be able to eat it forever.  I always shake my head when I read a post from someone only a few months out that says "guess I cant eat xxx any longer".  You probably can at some point, just not so soon.,

Throw out any ideas of what a breakfast, lunch, and dinner should be.  For months I ate a scoop of ricotta cheese or cottage cheese every few hours, scrambled eggs for dinner, cheesesticks around the clock, etc. 

Also you may not feel hungry in the same way as you did before surgery. I would actually feel a little queasy when my stomach was empty, so those cheesesticks, as well as some peanut butter made me feel much better.

I was the same way. My hunger presented itself with both the usual pangs AND nausea. If I didn't get something in there quickly, I'd dry heave. I never left the house without eating first and I always carried protein snacks with me just in case.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

MomToTeens
on 8/2/11 10:07 pm - OH
Thank you Kelly, for posting this.  I am just over 2 weeks post-op, and I find myself trying to eat what I think I "should" be able to.  I'm not getting down much in soft foods at all, and actually am still struggling with drinking and feeling good.  The protein shakes sit like a rock.  I'm glad I have my feeding tube, so I can put it through there. 

I feel like a baby, learning all over again.  But that's ok, I'll just keep at it.  Again, thanks for the reminder that everyone is different and has to go at their own pace. 

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 12:27 am
Hi Susan,

This is an honest question from a newbie - not being judgemental.  My doctor's office said nothing but liquid for at least 3 weeks, is that not the norm?  Also, if you have a j-tube (assuming it's a J tube and not an NG tube?) how do you eat? 
MomToTeens
on 8/3/11 12:39 am - OH
I don't know what the norm is, I only know what my surgeon recommends.  I left the hospital on full liquids, and he said I could progress to soft foods.  I've not been handling it well, so he told me just to wait on that a bit.

And yes, I have a j-tube....it's connected directly to the small intestine, so bypasses the stomach altogether.  I can use it or not.  I just eat and drink regularly, and supplement through the j-tube if I'm struggling.

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

goodkel
on 8/3/11 5:04 am
On August 3, 2011 at 7:27 AM Pacific Time, Lynmarie S. wrote:
Hi Susan,

This is an honest question from a newbie - not being judgemental.  My doctor's office said nothing but liquid for at least 3 weeks, is that not the norm?  Also, if you have a j-tube (assuming it's a J tube and not an NG tube?) how do you eat? 
There are almost as many post op instructions as there are surgeons. Because there's a track record of surgeons knowing what works best for THEIR patients in the first few weeks, we always recommend that people follow their own surgeons instructions for the weeks immediately post op.

However, just because you CAN move on to solid foods, that doesn't mean you HAVE to if your stomach is not comfortable with it. Your stomach is probably still just a little too swollen. It is nothing to get worried about and you'll only inflame your stomach more by forcing it.

The surgeon's instructions are to ensure you don't stress your stomach too much too soon. If YOUR stomach is telling you that you need a little extra time, listen to it.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

goodkel
on 8/3/11 5:26 am
On August 3, 2011 at 5:07 AM Pacific Time, MomToTeens wrote:
Thank you Kelly, for posting this.  I am just over 2 weeks post-op, and I find myself trying to eat what I think I "should" be able to.  I'm not getting down much in soft foods at all, and actually am still struggling with drinking and feeling good.  The protein shakes sit like a rock.  I'm glad I have my feeding tube, so I can put it through there. 

I feel like a baby, learning all over again.  But that's ok, I'll just keep at it.  Again, thanks for the reminder that everyone is different and has to go at their own pace. 

Susan
I had trouble with liquids, too. Sat like a rock at the top of my gut. As soon as I could (I was on clear liquids for a couple of weeks), my liquids were primarily decaf coffee with Unjury unflavored protein powder and that went down like a dream.

Take tiny little sips and put the glass down in between to give everything time to settle before taking in more. Regular sized sips may very well be too much. Use a teaspoon to take in liquids if you are having trouble taking small enough sips.

A baby is the perfect analogy. Tiny little amounts of food every two hours. You have a brand new baby stomach, treat it like one.
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1029 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1193 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 485 views