bad choices and not feeling well.

Catnip
on 8/12/11 10:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I have made some bad choices in the last 24 hours and I am not feeling well.

I have been on vacation this week.  I have forgotten to take my acid reducer (PPI) for a few days.  Last night when I was out I started to get GERD when I got home I took my PPI and some Rolaids, things started to subside and I felt better so I went to bed.  Two hours later I wake up in pain from the acid in my mouth and throat.  I get up and take some more Rolaids and drink some milk, about 15 mins later i throw up, lots of acid and foam.  Being a bit sleepy and in pain I take my PPI again and some more Rolaids and drink some more milk.  I start to feel better and go back to bed.  This morning I wake up with acid burning at my throat and in my mouth.  So down some more Rolaids and another PPI.  After a bit I start to feel better and eat a bit of egg as a test of the stomach.  I feel fine but still wait an hour or two and then eat some breakfast.  That breakfast has not sat well.  Feels like a brick in my chest,  like that tight uncomfortable feeling when you eat a meat that just doesn't sit well in the DS stomach.   The feeling has lasted all day. I am drinking chamomile /peppermint tea because that usually helps, and have still had to take 2 Rolaids today.

For dinner I have had chicken broth because I was hoping that something warm might help.  I still don't feel great, but I don't feel worse.  The brick is getting either smaller or less noticeable.

I am realizing that taking the third ppi was a bad move.  My doctor has said I should take one a day and then a second if needed as long as it isn't everyday.  I am wondering if the third PPI has almost shut down my acid production.  I take a long acting PPI so i am hoping that the first 2 will wear off overnight and the feeling will be gone in the morning.  IF not I am heading to the clinic to see a Doctor.

I am wondering if anyone has any wise words?  Ideas suggestions etc?  Has anyone had a similar experience?
I don't think this warrants a visit to emergency tonight. But I am looking for a second opinion. 

Thanks
CNC

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Ann M.
on 8/12/11 12:54 pm - GA
Which PPI did you take and what is the strength? In the event you did supress your acid production I would think you would not have acid reflux. Also, do you still have your gallbladder?

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Catnip
on 8/12/11 1:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I take Rabeprazole (AcipHex)  20 mg dosage.  

My gallbladder is gone and I am about 3 years out.

CNC

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/12/11 5:27 pm
 I'm sorry you feel bad, and I'm not much help about PPIs, but know when my stomach feels like blarg and there is a brick sitting in there, I just make room for bites of a good probiotic greek yogurt, and I usually wake up feeling like a new person. It just seems to help re-balance things when they are out of balance for whatever reason.
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/11 2:27 am
Not switched yet but when I have this issue with the band - it happens a lot - here is what I do: No dairy.

Contrary to popular belief (because it feels SO good going down) milk products actually produce more acid in your stomach.

For the "brick" feeling, not switched yet so I can't really help there. I would try probiotics maybe?
Catnip
on 8/13/11 4:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Thank you for your replies,

I went to the doctor this AM, he doesn't think the PPI's caused a problem. More likely it was the stomach acid that caused the issue.  The brick like feeling is gone, so he wasn't worried about it but I still have pain when swallowing and some tenderness/pain when he examined me.  

The Doctor thinks I irritated my esophagus. He suggested that I make sure I take my ppi, and use anti acids as needed to create a coating in my stomach and esophagus and eat bland foods for a  few days.  If i don't feel better in 3 days then I need to go back and go for tests. 

Thanks for your responses and concern,
CNC

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 791 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1070 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views