DS for "lightweights"

jmckel1
on 8/18/11 8:25 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi, I had a consultation with a bariatric physician the other day. I told him I am planning to pursue revision surgery (lap-band to DS), and he said there was no way I should even consider having the DS due to my BMI (which is 36). I asked him why not, and he said that I would likely end up weighing 80 lbs and looking like a concentration camp victim. He also said the mortality rate for DS surgery is 4x higher than any other. I've done quite a bit of research on the DS, and what he said doesn't jibe with what I've read. Any "lightweights" out there who have had the DS?
Renee2007
on 8/18/11 8:29 am - Central, FL
 Who is the surgeon?

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

jmckel1
on 8/18/11 8:35 am - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Renee,

Dr. Gagner in Montreal. The bariatric physician I talked to is Dr. Dent.
grdn_grl
on 8/18/11 8:37 am
This is exactly what happened to me in CA - I posted about it last week, my BMI is 36-37 and I had a lapband removed in December.  I'm going to get a second opinion but now my family isn't on board because of the things the surgeon said :(  I'm still going to get a second opinion because I know there are successful lightweights here on OH.

Wendy
MajorMom
on 8/18/11 8:39 am - VA
Lightweight DSr here. Didn't lose down to 80 pounds but stopped right at 21.7 BMI and have had a bounce back to 22.6 BMI. My labs are much better now than they were pre-op because I follow Vitalady's plan. Wishing you great luck in getting your DS.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 8/18/11 8:57 am - AL
Me.  5'8"  Highest weight 262.  Surgical Weight 242.  Goal weight 159.  Current weight 145ish.

I never have looked like a concentration camp victim.  I actually have to work to keep from regaining.

MY surgeon said that if you compare apples to apples that the DS is NO RISKIER than the RnY (virgin surgeries). 

You can ONLY use a very experienced surgeon for your revision.  We lost a friend this week to an inexperienced surgeon. 

The surgeon who told you that crap is probably not even capable of doing a DS much less a revision.  Who is he?

Find a REAL DS revision surgeon for a consult.

~Becky

jmckel1
on 8/18/11 9:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Thanks, Becky.  I have a meeting with the surgeon (Dr. Michel Gagner) next week in Montreal.
Renee2007
on 8/18/11 9:06 am - Central, FL
 Dr. gagner is a very experienced DS surgeon. I suggest you consult with him. Dr. Dent is not a physician that i have ever heard of as doing the DS. He is probably basing his thoughts and comments on the old DS/BPD Scopainaro procedure that is now outdated and not being performed by most reutable DS surgeons. The outcomes of that particular procedure were not favorable.

There are a lot of "lightweight" Ds'ers in our community and they have been very successful and have not withered away. The current DS is often times done on people who are not even considered obese just to resolve thier diabetes. A skilled DS surgeon can customize your DS with a specific size sleeve and common channel. I would seek out an experienced DS surgeon and get a second opinion.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

southernlady5464
on 8/18/11 9:24 am
Another lightweight DS'er here...and my surgical weigh in had me at a 35.2 BMI so I was closer to the cut-off for ANY WLS.

I'm almost 7 months out and have currently stalled at 140 which is a 24.0 I hope I havent stopped as I want some more wiggle room for bouce back (we get a little bit). And I sure as heck do not look like a concentration camp victim!  My surgeon and I adjusted my common channel length to take my size into consideration. I have a 175 cm Common Channel. Typical is 100.

As to the mortality rate, it's higher because the surgery is primarily done on those with much higher BMI's than any of the rest so they are more likely to have other issues just to being so overweight. He MAY be thinking of the older BPD/DS not the current one.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 9:24 am
Good ole Dr. Dent is at it again with his death stats.  I had an open DS at a BMI of 39, four years ago.  My lowest weight was 127lbs and I now sit at about 165lbs after having a baby 7 months ago.   Seek another opinion.  Contact Dr. Gagner if you can.  FYI you can get a longer CC, mine is 95cm.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 576 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 956 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 325 views