You say tomato I say doo-o-deen-um

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/22/11 3:16 pm
This is just for fun and since I'm a post-op newbie, I thought I'd ask around how members here pronounce the word "duodenum".  I have heard it pronounced several different ways:
Doo-ah-dnum, doo-oh-dee-num, doo-oh-denum, ....it goes on and on.  I can't even get two doctors to agree on how to pronounce that doo-o-darn word! 

I realize that pronouncing the word Duodenum is the least of my concerns right now, but I thought it might be interesting to take a poll  and see how others say it. 

So, have at it if you've got a sec.  Let me know how YOU we should all be pronouncing the word  DUODENUM.

And yes, this is a stupid question.  But I'm bored.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 3:29 pm
DS on 02/01/12
I pronounce it "doo-oh-dee-num." If that is incorrect, then I blame it on the fact that I'm from Texas.
Sher Bear Mama
on 8/22/11 3:34 pm
I can hear you saying it in my head with a southern twang!  I say it the same way and if you look it up online you can hear the online dictionary pronounce it that way too.  But most of the doctors I meet don't say it that way!

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

J G.
on 8/22/11 3:39 pm
My surgeon said  
dū-ŏd'n-əm, but I say it both ways ('ə-dē'nəm.)  They are both correct.  Ain't that dandy!

lisarn
on 8/22/11 4:10 pm - Omaha, NE
I say it both doo-ah-dee-num, and doo-wah-dnum....also doo-oh-denal and doo-wah-dnal. I've worked in surgery and GI for the last 15 years, and it's said all different ways. It's just however my brain wants to say it each time, I don't know how it chooses! If I had to pick one or the other though, I'd choose doo-oh-dee-num and doo-oh-denal.
lisa
HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 4:32 pm - San Jose, CA
Split the difference:
doo-uh-DEEN-al switch (the adjective)
doo-AH-den-um (the noun)
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/11 9:37 pm

My duodenum goes both ways

Sher Bear Mama
on 8/23/11 12:57 am
"Like"
Sher--the bear mama

Imissthe80s
on 8/23/11 1:00 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Double Like

NoreenRT
on 8/23/11 8:25 am - Warner Robins, GA
**hijack**  
eileen...............!!!!!!!!!!!  look at your new avi. girl you are looking soooooooooo  tiny.  love the blonde hair.  hubba-hubba chickie.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1044 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1197 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 495 views