Protein shakes that don't cause tummy aches

Sher Bear Mama
on 9/4/11 2:41 am

So I'm trying to lose 25 pounds before surgery.  I'm eating really healthfully--low carb, higher protein, drinking LOTS of water, etc.  But I'm also incorporating protein shakes into my day as meal replacements ****asionally).  I bought EAS 100% Whey Protein shake and they really seem to upset my tummy. I get bloating, cramps, and then I'm off to the toilet after a few hours.  I don't add milk to them--though milk in my cereal, ice cream, cheese, or frozen yogurt doesn't bother me.  There was another brand I bought and tried Nature's Plus Spriu-Tein--that one tastes GREAT but needs to be mixed with milk or juice. I chose non-fat milk since it's got fewer carbs than juice and that one gave me EXPLOSIVE gas and diarrhea within an hour or two.  

Some of you may wonder why I'm trying to lose the weight before surgery, or in this particular way.  But the fact is, that Kaiser has a 10% weight loss requirement prior to bariatric surgery. The DMHC upheld their requirements when I had my Independent Medical Review.  So, at this point, I'd like to get the weight off and not fight anymore.  I've lost about 10 pounds thus far (in the past 4 weeks) and I did so with the shakes and healthy diet.  I'm 15 pounds away from goal.  I know that some bariatric surgeons put their patients on a liquid diet pre-surgery to shrink the liver. I'd love it if I had that option but Kaiser does it THEIR own way (boo).  But, I'm trying to get a balanced diet in and add this meal replacement (protein shake) to aid in my process.  I have about 5 more weeks until I can schedule my pre-op and I'd like to have at least 10 pounds off by then.  That's only 2 pounds a week which I think is pretty realistic.   

My question to you is: Do any of you have any protein shake recommendations (that are not too high in fat since I'm still pre-op) that won't cause stomach upset? I'm sure some of you who are post-op have far more sensitive stomachs than I so perhaps you've got some suggestions for me?

Thanks for any advice you offer--and thanks for reading this VERY lengthy post.

Sher-

Sher--the bear mama

Twi light
on 9/4/11 3:35 am - NY
are you sure it is the protein in the shake and not the sweetner that is causing you the trouble? 

I get those horrible bloating, explosive gas symtomps from cetain sweetners.

Sher Bear Mama
on 9/4/11 5:01 am
I did consider that it might be the sweetener they put in it--but I'm not sure what it's callled. I know that if they don't put the sweetener in it then it'll have more carbs--i.e. surger to sweeten it.  If anyone here knows what the sweetener is called so that I can try picking one out that doesn't have it, please let me know!  Great suggestion SpQr!
Sher--the bear mama

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/4/11 5:26 am - Tuvalu

Anything that end in "itol."

malitol, sorbitol, etc.
Lori F.
on 9/4/11 3:40 am - Chula Vista, CA
OMG! I never thought of the sweeteners! I also can't seem to find a protein shake that doesn't kill me. I am lactose intolerant but I also have trouble with some soy products with no rhyme or reason. THANK YOU for suggesting the sweeteners! My doc thinks I'm crazy but I know I am not!!! I'm starting over today!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Sher Bear Mama
on 9/4/11 5:04 am
Lori, you're not crazy! I get the same sort of intollerance sometimes as well--even to milk products.  We'll try something new together and share notes.

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

sweetpotato1959
on 9/4/11 8:26 am
 TRY STEVIA, all natural, from health food store and adds no carbs or calories in liquid....3 drops sweeten a cup of coffee real well. I got mine from the vitamin cottage in Denver. an 8 ounce bottle does me  over a year.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/4/11 5:29 am - Tuvalu

Even without the sugar alcohols--the things that end in "itol"--using the shakes that SAY they have no lactose ended up upset my stomach.  I looked 11 months pregnant and felt lousy.  I had to go to "egg white protein" shakes and even then, I only found one brand because the "Jay Robb" brand also has sugar alcohols.
Sher Bear Mama
on 9/4/11 7:51 am
WHich egg white protein shake did end up using?
Sher--the bear mama

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/4/11 8:40 am - Tuvalu

The selection of brands and flavors IN NO WAY compares to what you can get from VitaLady, but I just had no kickback from these.  I have chocolate and vanilla...and dress them up with SF syrups and ripening bananas and strawberries as I encounter them around the house.

This one:
www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 937 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1153 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 406 views