CBC test results 3/6 mo. - Re: Tired all the time.

Justin K.
on 9/28/11 5:25 am - Grand Island, NE
CBC tests results:       3 Month             6 Month               Normal range
WBC                               5.9                      7.5                       4.2   -  10.0
RBC                                4.69                   4.52                     4.50 -  6.3
Hemoglobin                  13.4    Low       13.2    Low          14.0 - 18.0
Hematocrit                     38.6    Low       39.0    Low          41.0 - 51.0
MCV                                 82.3                   86.3                     80.0 - 94.0
MCH                                28.6                   29.2                     27.0 - 34.0
MCHC                             34.7                   33.8                     31.5 - 36.0
RDW                                14.6   High       14.3    High        11.5 - 14.0
Platelet                            186                    206                     140  - 440

Here's my results for my CBC, When I saw my 3 month labs I knew immediately that I had to supplement Iron (even though the Dr wasn't overly concerned).  Now with my 6 months I see in some areas my iron has gone DOWN, which considering the amount I am supplimenting twice a day it should be anything but down.  I don't have my bottle with me but I take the equivilent of 65 mg of Ferrus Sulfate six times a day, 3 first thing in the morning with a vitamin C tablet, and 3 before I go to bed with vitamin C.  Neither doses are within 1 hour of anything else like food or other vitamins.

I have been really physically tired and wore out like I've been working out hard for months now, even though I don't have the energy to work out, not to mention my hands and feet are eternally cold.  I was told I should ask for iron infusions.. does this data confirm this suggestion?  Does anyone have thoughts on these numbers?

Also I should mention, I eat a lot of meat like bacon and various forms of beef, which I should also be getting iron from.. but my labs sure don't show it.

Justin
Elizabeth N.
on 9/28/11 5:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Go. Get. Infusions.

Think of this: You only have a FEW CENTIMETERS of that part of your intestine in the food stream which absorbs iron and B vitamins. For some people this is enough for a while. For others it is not enough immediately and forever.

So, how much sicker do you have to get before you believe the advice you've been given from the people who've walked in your shoes?

levittown_loser
on 9/28/11 5:38 am - Levittown, PA
I would want to see your actual iron test results ...

Total Iron
Iron Saturation
Ferritin 

Where are they?

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Justin K.
on 9/28/11 5:41 am - Grand Island, NE
It's not whether or not I believe the people giving advice.  Before when I asked I hadn't posted any numbers to show in hard terms what I was talking about.  It could have been that I wasn't supplimenting enough or being 'just under' wasn't justifiable for getting infusions.

Anyway when I get into see my surgeon next week I'll get it done, I was just hoping folks may have more anecdotal information I could use so I was more well versed in the area.

Justin
Justin K.
on 9/28/11 5:48 am - Grand Island, NE

Levittown - All my surgeon ordered was the CBC, a Comprehensive metabolic panel, B12 and D labs.  I don't have anything here that shows Ferritin, total iron, or iron saturation.  I don't have a problem asking him, I'll check with his nurse.

Justin

Chad M.
on 9/28/11 6:01 am - Indianapolis, IN
Do you have a folate number? Low folate can also cause anemia.
poet_kelly
on 9/28/11 3:08 pm - OH
I don't have a DS, I have RNY, but I can't sleep and I'm bored so I was just reading different boards.  I hope it's OK if I jump in here for a minute.

Are you saying that for your six month labs all your doc ordered was a CBC, CMP, B12 and D?  Good grief.  I have RNY, and I get a lipid profile, iron, ferritin, thiamin, B6, folate, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin K, zinc, copper, selenium, PTH, prealbumin, magnesium and phosphorus every six months.  I would have thought DS folks might need more than RNY folks but I'm horrified if that's all your doc ordered.

Without getting all your labs done, there's no way to know what might be causing you to be tired.

What was your B12 level?  Below 550, people typically get symptoms like depression and fatigue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Chad M.
on 9/28/11 5:59 am - Indianapolis, IN
The numbers you show look a bit similar to where mine were, though my cell volume and concentration numbers were also dipping. As it is, though, you do not have enough data to even know if this is iron deficiency anemia or something else.

At a minimum you need to get a serum iron, ferritin, and TIBC/saturation percentage.

The only thing that has made a dent in my iron was taking 3 Proferrin per day. My serum iron liked to hang out in the 40's and 50's and is up to the 80's as of this month.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/28/11 6:20 am - Tuvalu

Justin, you need to get SOME doctor on board (you might need an endocrinologist) with testing the labs that need to be tested.  Find a PCP if your surgeon won't play along with the program.

I'm going to my PCP with a lab order for:

CBC w/Differential
CMP (Lytes, BUN, Cr, Ca, Mg, Albumin,, Total Ptotein and Alkaline Phosphate)
Iron Panel (Iron, Ferritin, Transferrin, Saturation, TIBC)
PTH, Intact
Lytes
Liver Function Test
PT/PTT
Thyroid Panel (T3 Uptake, T4 Free, ad TSH)
Lipid Panel
Vitamins  B6 B12 D O-25 and FOLATE

And I'm sure ther's something that Michelle (VitaLady) is going to yell at me about missing...

vitalady
on 9/29/11 1:52 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
True.

I'll be near next year. Need a good summer slapping next summer?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 982 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views