DS and gallbladder removal?

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 10/1/11 4:32 am - Belleville, IL
Hello-
I'm asking this on the DS board, as I know DSers require more protein and fat than other WLS types.

I had an RNY but could eat anything pretty much a DSer could. Lots of protien, fat didn't bother me, etc. Then I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago (and two internal hernias repaired)

Now I am in misery. About the only way I can get any protein is via shakes or very, very lean protein (like fish) which I am not a fan of. (I love steak, pork, etc...)

Anytime I eat anything with more than about 5 grams of fat I am on the toilet with cramps about an hour later.

Has any DS folks had their gallbladders removed, and if so, how did you deal with having to get your protein in and not being able to eat (healthy and necessary) fat? Is there some kind of trick to this? I'm thinking for a WLS paitient this has to stink not being able to eat meat and fats. Any advice is welcome.

Warmly,
Jackie

teachmid
on 10/1/11 4:46 am - OKC, OK
Sorry you're having these problems.

I had my gallbladder removed at the time of my revision and I don't have any problems with fat. In fact, my surgeon recommended eating fattier meat rather than lean.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

callmeEJ
on 10/1/11 4:47 am - Minneapolis, MN
I had my gallbladder removal prior to WLS, but I had the same problems after it was removed. I had to cut back on fatty foods drastically for a few months afterward because I would feel ill and have cramping and DHR. It's not uncommon, you may have to cut back on the fat until your system figures itself out. I can eat like a pretty normal DSer now (high fat, high protein), etc.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
PamtasticNewLife
on 10/1/11 4:53 am
I had my gallbladder surgery about 5 months after my DS. I didn't have any problems at all eating afterward. I'm 4 1/2 yrs out now still use shakes to make sure I get in enough protein.

Just take it slow and easy. You can mix some of the whey isolate protein in as little as 3-4 ozs of water. Sip , don't gulp!
Some people do have problems digesting fat after gb surgery. Don't pu**** just gradually add a little fat to your diet.

Good Luck and take care !
Pam
Emily F.
on 10/1/11 4:53 am
I had my gb removed at surgery and don't have any trouble unless I go overboard w the butter on popcorn, then I'm on the pot for a long time the next morning.

But my aunt had her gb removed and she can not touch fried food or anything with fat. So I guess it depends on the person?? Maybe?

I'm sorry but sounds like you are going to have to get to know your body again and what you can and can not eat.
Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 10/1/11 4:57 am - Belleville, IL
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies. Maybe my body just still needs to heal and figure things out.

PS: The microwave buttered popcorn did me in too! Pre- GB surgery it wouldn't have bothered me at all. But yet deviled eggs and egg yolks go down fine. Maybe I just need to experiment with different fat types and as I said- Give my body a chance to heal fully.

Wishing all of you a great weekend!
Warmly,
Jackie

Yehuda G.
on 10/1/11 5:07 am
I had my gb removed at the time of my ds.  a gb is rather useless to a DSer as we malabsorb most fats, where you as a RNYer do not. I believe that this may be why you are having problems, but I would assume and hope that this is just a temporary issue. I'm sure with some time and slowly adding more dense proteins and fats in your diet that you should be fine.

MsBatt
on 10/1/11 7:02 am
Hopefully this will improve over time for you. I had my GB out at the same time as my DS, and I've never noticed any difference---maybe because immediately afterward I was eating very cir****pectly because of the brand-new stomach.

I've been constipated for the past couple of days because I haven't eaten ENOUGH fat...
no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 9:14 am - Jackson, MI
I had my gallbladder removed about 15 years ago pre-DS.  Ever since it was removed I have digestive issues (including stomach cramping) if I eat too much fat/grease...even post DS.  It was worst the first 6 months to a year immediately after my gallbladder was removed, but now it just depends on how much grease the foods I eat have in them.  Like the others said, just give it time to heal and figure out how your body responds.

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Victorious_one
on 10/2/11 8:46 am - South Central, PA

I had my gallbladder out with my DS surgery.  I haven't had the problems you're describing, so I have no wisdom, but I hope you're able to heal up and get back to enjoying the foods you love soon.  Hang in there!
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1049 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1207 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 501 views