6 days.....let the countdown begin!

beth-28
on 11/21/11 1:23 pm
I'm starting to get a little nervous. Especially seeing some of the recent DSer's buyers remorse due to nausea. The pain doesn't bother me. I've been in continuous pain for about 7 years due to a back injury. I'm used to pain. Nausea, however, is a much different issue.

I would rather be in pain than be nauseous. That's got to be one of the worst feelings ever.(for me anyway). I can't imagine being nauseous for months!

I go tomorrow for the pre- surgical visit with my surgeon, and to the hospital to have a pre-op appointment with the anesthesiologist. I have a list of questions ready for the doctor, but do you have any suggestions of questions to ask the anesthesiologist?

I've read the "sticky" of pre and post op advice and information that (Becky, I think) bumps up for us from time to time....I've got it bookmarked. But, I have a question...I'm sorry, it will be graphic.

I've heard that sometimes there is diarrhea after surgery. In the hospital, the idea doesn't bother me, but at home......(I'm so sorry) is it possible or likely I'll have an "accident" while sleeping??

I don't want to freak/gross out my husband (and myself). So is this a valid concern??

Thanks for any and all help!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

butercup
on 11/21/11 1:42 pm - Kennewick, WA
I haven't had one single moment of buyers remorse. I'll be 9 weeks this Thursday. Be super hydrated before surgery and take your anti nausea pills. Also, keep telling yourself, this too shall pass.
Mdae
on 11/21/11 2:55 pm
I didn't have nausea.  I've never crapped my pants, sleeping or not. 

Honestly, my recovery was easy.  Sure, I felt like I wa**** by a truck at first, but after 1.5 weeks, I felt pretty darned good, considering - and I remember posting as much.

Sher Bear Mama
on 11/21/11 2:58 pm
I'm 13 days away from mine and having some of the same concerns that you are having.  Nausea is my achiles heal.  I get sick to my stomach all the time and have a really sensitive stomach and sense of smell.  Also I have a gag reflex that's just awful!  I posted a couple of days ago about my doubts and with some questions---you might want to read the link.  My nausea often comes from emotional issues, fear, or anxiety--but it's the same issue--I DON'T want to be constantly feeling like I'm going to throw up.  SO many people have reached out to me privately saying that I'll be fine.  That it won't be the same as before surgery.  And that we'll get by just fine. 

Here is the link to my thread from a couple of days ago:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4473495/Vets-I-need-you r-help-PLEASE/

I hope it helps you.  I'm terribly stressed out about this as well.  I've been fighting for this surgery and now that it's almost here, I'm terrified!  But I know this to shall pass.

Hugs,
Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 8:08 pm - Beverly, NJ
For most nausea is easy to figure out and fix. Stay hydrated and ask for some Zofran. Zofran melts under your tongue and is used for cancer patients undergoing chemo and to patients with gut procedures to help with nausea. Most of the time nausea is caused by dehydration or side effects from the pain meds. It doesnt last long either. I can count on one hand how many times I've felt sick like that.

As for having an accident. I've had one. It was my fault too. In the beginning you may see what we lovingly refer to as oil slicks in the toilet after a bm. Thats around the time I had to learn that if I have to go not to be brave and try to hold it for an hour lol. I held it and couldn't make it to the bathroom by the time I got off my lazy butt. So simply it means if you gotta go, go.
Blank Out
on 11/21/11 8:48 pm
 You hear about "not trusting a fart".  It is not any different before WLS when you have dhr.  Only in the beginning will you have dhr.  Or, you might not.  Over time, as you heal, you will find your new normal.  I am 18 mos out, and now I deal with chronic constipation.  I have never had an accident.  It's not any different then before surgery.  You will still have full control.  If you happen to be more sensitive to fat in your diet, then you will have to adjust for that.  You will figure it out!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

fullhousemom
on 11/21/11 8:48 pm
 At 6 weeks out, I can say I have had no nausea and no accidents. I have found that certain things can cause me diarrhea....too much ice cream on my birthday.... Two protein bars with fiber when food wasnt available (I was travelling and had meetings).   You will find that the more "junk" you eat, the better chances you will have of gas/diarrhea. 

You will do fine. We all get over being uncomfortable. When/if you feel bad, just temember "and this, too, shall pass!". And it will!
prettypixels
on 11/21/11 9:02 pm
FWIW I have not had buyers remorse for a moment. My nausea was very easily managed; it was very occasional and when I had it I took the meds they gave me and it was gone. I was already used to drinking a LOT of water so getting in my fluids has not been that hard for me. I have been really lucky overall I think.

I never had an accident in my sleep! I did have a few close calls, though... I think your system is just figuring everything out and at first all my bathroom events were happening at 3 in the morning, so I'd wake up from a sound sleep and have to dash to the bathroom. Now it's happening at 6, which is better but still kind of early... but I think it will keep getting better until it's more *normal* for me.

If you look at my posts from right before my surgery I swear it seemed like every post right then was about complications too! Or maybe we (when we are immediately pre-op) just notice them more! You will get through this and do just fine
Lori F.
on 11/21/11 9:22 pm - Chula Vista, CA

Make sure to tell your anesthesiologist that you are a puker. S/he can help with that immediately after surgery anyway.

Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
pktwatch
on 11/21/11 9:30 pm
We are all different but I seem to have had a easy recovery....at least so far. My sergeon has us drinking from a sippy cup, it keeps a lot of air out of your stomach and cuts down on some  of the problems. I also take Carafate and Prilosec for my stomach and have never even felt sick. It took me about 4 weeks to start feeling somewhat normal but there was not a lot of pain, just a tired  and confused feeling. I wish you luck!

Butch

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1055 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1217 views