~sigh~ Had my 2 week follow-up today....

beth-28
on 12/13/11 10:33 am
....and the surgeon's PA came in first to talk to me. She wanted to make sure I wasn't drinking with meals (nor 30 minutes after), that I was watching my fat and caloric intake.

I'm so tired of people confusing DS instructions with RNY instructions.  No wonder patients get so confused!

Anywho, my surgeon came in, examined my incisions (they are healing nicely), said I am right on track for losing the amount of weight I have, and wants to see me back in 2 weeks.

Sounds good to me! Although I do hope he gets his PA fixed.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 10:42 am
Its a Secret
on 12/13/11 10:50 am, edited 2/10/12 1:04 am
Removed because OH has chosen to share my posts, upload, journey etc. on Facebook without my permission. Moderation that is unfair and prejudicial.

larra
on 12/13/11 11:36 am - bay area, CA
Frustrating...but there's no reason you can't gently tell her that you had the DS and the nutritional advice she is offering doesn't apply to the surgery you had. I hope you did.

Larra
beth-28
on 12/13/11 12:04 pm
I tried to "delicately" lead her in the right direction. When she said that I needed to watch my fat intake, I said " I thought DS'ers were supposed to have fat in their diet to encourage bowel movements to be easier." She replied that too much fat was bad. (As if I'm going to sit down with a plate of fat and gobble it down). ...Oh, and the "fat" conversation came about when I mentioned I might try Half and Half in my protein shakes.

When she said I need to watch my calories, I said I can't even get 1/2 cup of soup in me at one time....and I only drink water...no tea, coffee, crystal light...jus****er.

I was polite, but if I were someone who didn't know about this site and couldn't get great advice from the vets, I'd be a DS'er on an RNY diet.

larra
on 12/13/11 12:06 pm - bay area, CA
Unfortunately, this happens a lot with PA's and nuts. Keep at it at every visit, and mention it to your surgeon. Maybe you can slowly chip away at her ignorance. I'm ever hopeful.

Larra
KarenFlorida
on 12/13/11 1:18 pm - Orlando, FL
I'm a PA and we aren't all ignorant. I have been in the same specialty for 10 years now, practice independently in an office setting, and feel quite confident. I often definitively treat patients referred by physicians.

I think the issue is, surgeons will hire new graduates (general medicine training only) and place them in a position such as this...seeing postop patients...which to the surgeon seems like mindless work with no additional training needed. Of course, seeing the postop patient isn't just vitals, suture removal and palpating the abdomen...it's answering questions and counseling the patient. If the PA has not had adequate subspecialty training (in this case, bariatrics and specifically the DS) prior to being placed in this position of responsibility, the result is what you see here...frustrated patients, and PAs getting a bad name.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest. It happens all the time. I wish new PAs would admit it when they need additional training in a specific area, and I wish more physicians were willing to take the time to provide it.

And Beth, I'm sorry that happened to you. I feel there is no excuse for someone treating you, who does not fully understand what you had done.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

J G.
on 12/13/11 1:41 pm
beth-28
on 12/13/11 2:14 pm
Hi Karen,

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that all PA's were ignorant. I just meant that for a specialty practice like bariatrics (where there are basically 4 procedures to choose from) the PA should know the difference.

I haven't known any other PA's. The doctors around this area use NP's mostly, and I have worked for and with surgeons, doctors, and NP's. Some were great at what they did, and some I wouldn't let touch my dogs.

All professions have good, competent members and also some incompetent members. It's just the way life is.

I see my surgeon again in 2 weeks. If she tells me RNY stuff again, I'll discreetly mention it to the surgeon. I don't want to get her into trouble, I just don't want her confusing people who may not have access to this site.

nightowl
on 12/13/11 4:52 pm - Topeka, KS
I think lots of DS surgeons offer the same RNY advice to DSers that their PAs, NPs, and nuts do.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 433 views