Discharged to a convalescent facility the day after surgery???

jmckel1
on 12/14/11 9:54 am - Ottawa, Canada
Please forgive my excessive posting today, but I just got an e-mail saying I would be spending one night in the surgical centre (Westmount Square) followed by 1-2 nights in a convalescent facility: 

http://www.retirementhomes.com/homes/Detailed/30249.html

In the event complications should arise, I do NOT feel comfortable being discharged to a non-medical facility the day after surgery. If I'm going to be convalescing at a non-medical facility, it should be at the point where I'm well enough to recuperate on my own at home. Am I overreacting??? 

jmckel1
on 12/14/11 10:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
I expressed my discomfort to Veronique and she replied: 

"The WSSC work with this convalescence : they have nurses for post-operative care and they are always in contact with Dr Gagner and the staff at WSSC."

...Still not happy...

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 10:13 am
While I don't know this facility obviously, it is not uncommon to go to a "step-down" facility during recovery from surgery. They typically have nurses, pharmacies and you should get good care there - particularly instead of going home. First preference is to remain in the hospital of course, but this is a nice alternative.
walter A.
on 12/14/11 10:38 am - lafayette, NJ
if Dr G is ok with this process, you can be sure it ok.  He overulled evry nyc ds surgeon on how to care for me. I stuck with his plan, and it worked perfectly, not like so many who come her for revisions.
jmckel1
on 12/14/11 10:42 am - Ottawa, Canada
You're probably right, Walter, but I worry that if something goes wrong it will be hard to track down a nurse; I'd rather have one close by, if possible. 
beth-28
on 12/14/11 10:41 am
If it were me, I wouldn't accept it. If something were to happen, I would want to be in a hospital where there is life-saving equipment and the O.R. was just seconds or minutes away on a different floor.

But Canada is a whole different story (You are in Canada, correct?). I had to research Canada's healthcare system for a college class last year and it is really different from the U.S.'s insurances.

Perhaps you can talk to your surgeon about this personally, let him know of your unease and let him address your concerns.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/11 11:10 am
I'm not sure about this facility in particular, but most skilled nursing facilities such as this have nurses on every floor, buzzers to get their attention, and full resuscitation equipment. It's not much different than the nursing situation in a hospital, except there are typically a few more patients per nurse.
beth-28
on 12/14/11 11:39 am
I am certain the facility has defibrillators and certain medications, it's iffy if they have blood for transfusions or are capable to open the chest and do direct heart massage and the like.

Hopefully it would never come to that, but I know how long it takes to prepare a patient for transfer to another facility. I think being transferred to a nursing facility the very next day after surgery is not very desirable.

I merely wanted to say it would be unacceptable to me. While I had a nearly flawless 2 days after my surgery (to the extent he was going to release me the next morning), on day 3 I developed some issues that basically rendered me unable to walk for 2 days. While it wasn't an immediate fatal issue, it could have been if left unattended or "brushed off" as post surgical weakness.

I suggested the OP talk directly to her surgeon about her concerns. Perhaps he can address them with her and ease her mind. Or perhaps she can talk him into letting her stay another day or two, then transfer to the skilled facility.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

calendargirl
on 12/14/11 11:10 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Do you think perhaps he's set it up this way to help keep your costs down?  (If you're a self-pay, that is....)

I wonder if he has other patients who've done it this way that you might be able to chat with to ease your mind.

If they have nurses and a plan in place to assist you with your recovery and patients who've been through it before... I would tend to trust the process Dr. G. has in place, much more so than being at home on my own on Day 2 and 3. 

Certainly you would want to get all the info you need to feel comfortable about it.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

PatXYZ
on 12/14/11 11:58 am
You would only be moved to the convalescent facility if there are no signs of any complications. Dr. Gagner is extremely thorough. If he had any concerns, you'd probably be transfered to Sacre Coeur hospital instead where the high risk surgeries are done, and cared for there post-op. I know a couple of his patients and would not have any concerns whatsoever being treated by him. I may yet end up being referred to him if Dr. Hong (St. Joe's Hamilton) decides there is anything complicated about my case.

Keep in mind too, that you are more likely to acquire an infection in a hospital and that if you don't NEED to be there for a medical reason, your recovery will likely be safer and more comfortable elsewhere.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 587 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 961 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views