Hollow feeling after eating?

beth-28
on 12/16/11 1:33 pm
I am nearly 3 weeks out and I think I can eat waaayyy more than I should.  I feel "sloshy" after drinking all my water for the day (am getting about 35oz).

I have noticed that sometimes, right after eating, I feel hollow. Almost like I haven't eaten anything at all. I don't eat more when I get that feeling because I'm afraid to overeat.

Is this a common feeling? Or am I uniquely weird?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 1:37 pm
 I'm not sure I totally understand your feeling.  But I know that when I eat--no matter how slowly I eat I always end up feeling really heavy in my gut once I've had about three bites.  I'm pretty much stuck on three bites per meal--which is totally frustrating from a psychological viewpoint.  At 3 bites I'm full--totally full, but I still want to eat more. I DON'T eat any more, but I WANT to eat more--my brain is telling me that I'm not full but my stomach has filled to capacity.  It just sucks.  I dread meals with family now.

S
Sher--the bear mama

Kingy
on 12/16/11 3:03 pm - Hobart, Australia
I'm with you.  I can get about 3 or 4 bites in and I'm done for.  I'm nearly 7 weeks out and wondering if I'll ever be able to eat a small meal... I know it will take time though.  I truly think that some surgeons go harder on the size of the stomach than other surgeons, so maybe ours made our stomachs a wee bit smaller.  Some of the newly switched on here eat amounts of food I can only dream of, so it's the only explanation I can think of. 

Meanwhile I have to live with a partner who thinks it's hilarious that I can have 3 bites of food and be rolling around full, I almost shoved his chicken enchilada up his nose tonight during dinner.  Off to get my dinner now, a tiny piece of poached salmon cooked in butter *lol*.

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 3:10 pm
 You're so funny.  You know, I'll hve to ask my surgeon how big he made the sleeve.  He specifically told me it woudln't be that small--and my friend who had him do it didn't seem to have all that much restriction from the start.  SO I still wonder if it's swelling or something.  But I seriously need to get more protein in--with you mentioning the salmon and all I'm starting to feel guilty.

S
Sher--the bear mama

beth-28
on 12/16/11 1:43 pm
Sher,

I ate an entire fish fillet today.....about the size of a deck of cards. Is that normal?? I thought I'd be full after 2-3 bites?!?

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 1:53 pm
 Maybe you don't have that much swelling in your stomach.  THe surgeon said that we should be able to eat a "normal" sized small meal--more than the traditional sleeve patient.  I'm hoping I'll work up to that sooner rather than later.  Seriously, psychologically it's so strange to see myself fill up so fast but still "think" I'm hungry. 

Honestly, if you can eat it, it's all protein, and it's good for you, and you don't hurt afterwards, I wouldn't worry about it.  Now, if you said you ate a bagel or a bowl of pasta, that would be bad.  But to fill up on a fish fillet is healthy.  When did you first discover you could do this?

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

beth-28
on 12/16/11 2:19 pm, edited 12/16/11 2:20 pm
Sher,

There are these Gordon's Grilled Fish Fillets that I used to love before surgery. This past weekend I was craving them so hubby got some for me. At first I couldn't fini**** but now it's effortless.

The only things I have been eating are protein. I would love a small salad (mozzeralla and tomato sounds just yummy) but I didn't know how soon I could eat a little greenery. I can get about 60 grams of protein a day.

I do think my swelling has gone down greatly. I no longer feel like I'm about to give birth to a thousand alien babies!

Edited to add: I can eat about 60 grams of protein a day without shakes....more with shakes

Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 3:00 pm
 You're a week ahead of me so I'm going to be seriously looking forward to having more room in my stomach.  Fortunately I don't feel bloated or full unless I'm eating (or attempting to eat).  I got in about 25 grams of protein today--so maybe I'll start doing what you're doing.  Give me a list of the foods you're eating to bring in that much protein.

S
Sher--the bear mama

honeybadger 11
on 12/16/11 9:58 pm - FL
Beth I know exactly the feeling you are talking about! Since being on soft foods i eat 4oz (maybe more) per meal. It does take me about 45mins to eat it all but if only ate 2oz at a time (rule from the NUT) id be eating every other hour.

I eat 8-9 med shrimp ****tail w/ 5 cubes of cheese. 2 ice cream scoops of pulled pork with less than 1 scoop of cole slaw. 1 ice cream scoop shredded chicken topped with cheese, greek yogurt, avocados and tomatoes. i can almost finish a 2 egg omelet with ham, cheese and topped with greek yogurt.

I never eat past feeling full and only eat til im satisfied. Ive not have a bloated, overly full feeling yet. (i know some get that feeling after only a few bites)

I just follow my rules...protein first and i dont stuff myself. My sleeve is 2oz so maybe its the amt of swelling one has:)...?

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

orangecrushed
on 12/17/11 2:07 am - Triad, NC
Wow, 2oz sleeve is pretty small!  I know my surgeon makes them kind of on the large side... 4-5oz.  I had some tomato soup last night and felt ungodly stuffed all night long.  I had 1/2 a cup, so it was probably pushing the limits.  It definitely wasn't fun, though.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 975 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1168 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 432 views