post surgery weight gain

Beckyann
on 12/28/11 5:48 am - Tacoma, WA
Okay, I have experienced post surgical DS weight gain.  I want to go on a protein shake diet for a month to get it off.  I was 123 at the beginning of the summer and now range in high 130's to low 140's depending on days...up down/up down.  I wear a size 4P still with the higher weight but the pants are snug.  With Thanksgiving and Christmas it is in the higher ranges right now.  I was also drinking a lot of wine over the holidays but have stopped that.

Any other gainers that had to get it off?  I had stopped working out too.  I keep having temporary foster kids and can't take them to gym.  My husband wants to quit fostering now.  I am ready to do this as well. 

House is still full of holiday goodies that with the DS give me significant gas.  I have been eating WAAAYYYY too much junk and I know it.

So, I want to do a month long 2 high protein shakes per day with one good sized meal in evening.  But I need a nibble idea for the day time in case my stomach growls.  Ideas?

By the way....any of you have problems with WHEY protein?  It gives me horrible bloating and gas pain.  But EGG protein doesn't cause me any problems at all.

MajorMom
on 12/28/11 6:22 am - VA
A few of us on the daily Bites & Vites thread are doing the post holiday low carb thing and I do 4 shakes a day always. Join us there, we'll help.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Beckyann
on 12/28/11 6:25 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks Gina.  Can you direct me?  Not sure where this is.  I will try to look though.
MajorMom
on 12/28/11 6:37 am - VA
Here's last night's. www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4485094/Tuesday-Bites-Vites-am p-Exercites/
I'll post one for Wednesday around 6:30 tonight.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 12/28/11 8:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
You will get far more input from experienced vets at the link in my sig. Please come join us!

dustydeer
on 12/28/11 10:13 am
Good for you for coming here and getting support. I do have to say that the whole "going on a shake diet and eating one meal a day" sounds like a bad idea.
The shakes, good. The meal, good. But why not approach it with eating as much as your body needs in normal portions of good food till you are full?
I got the DS to not diet. I would suggest dumping the junk and starting your day off with a nice protein shake, then a breakfast, then a snack, then a lunch, then another snack, then another shake, then dinner and perhaps even another snack.
But all good proteins/fats with some veg?

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

dustydeer
on 12/28/11 10:25 am
Snack ideas, forgot to add.
Nuts, I munch very often on raw walnuts & wassabi flavored almonds.
Cheese. I have a block of extra sharp cheddar currently at my desk in a ziplock with a knife. I love it at room temp and it's so good. Also, they have great deals on summer sausages because of the holidays, I slice of that to eat with it from the mini fridge.
Tuna salad & chicken salads, I love to chuck em full of goodies and they make a great meal or snack.
Microwavable bacon makes a quick treat. I keep some in the fridge at work too.
Yogurts. Greek with pineapple and the low carb peach from Kroger are my favs. The kroger ones are like 3carbs a container...excellent.
Ham rolled with flavored cream cheese.
Homemade jalepeno poppers wrapped in bacon. (that way they aren't in batter and low carb)
Homemade buffalo chicken dip with some celery..delish!

There's a few...

5'1 HW 298 CW 118

"Making America skinny, one slap atta time!" -Slap Chop Dude

Felicia S.
on 12/28/11 10:55 am, edited 12/28/11 10:55 am - Lincoln, NE

I'm on a post holiday low carb diet.  My very lowest with my DS was 136...that was for about 1 day (so it may even have been a fluke!).  For the most part my weight has been stable at 144 within a pound or two...but enjoying all the holiday goodies I went up to 151.  So, I've been back to the basics.  Enjoying low carb goodies whenever my tummy demands it and staying at about 40 carbs daily (maybe less...just carbs in sauces, low carb tortilla, a couple of tater tots tonight).  I've lost 3 pounds and am back down to 148.  So, I'll try to keep it up.  If I can get to 144 I'll be happy.  If I could eventually get to 135 (the goal I had made years ago) I'd be ecstatic..that may never happen, but I don't really care.  But it is cool to see how relatively easy it is to lose those extra pounds by going back to the basics.

I might get to go to Can****his spring, so I would like to keep up the low carb lifestyle until then (probably no where near as low as right now) and add in some exercise so I look good in my swimming suit! :)

So, long story short, you're not alone!

Felicia

HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Beckyann
on 12/28/11 11:17 am - Tacoma, WA
YES....you are all correct.  Get back to the basics.  Start there. 
I have become really hungry at times.  If I eat too low of carbs then I end up with hypoglycemia.....had that th other day.  So probably 10-20gms carbs at each meal would be fine.

I will post another couple questions in new post.
beemerbeeper
on 12/28/11 1:20 pm - AL
In my experience I do not need to restrict myself to shakes without meals.  I actually lose faster if I eat MORE.  I think the eating revs up my metabolism.

My bf says I eat all the time.  But it is WHAT I am eating that makes the difference.

I am doing a post holiday low carb also.  But I am eating when I am hungry which is probably about 6-8 times a day.  PROTEIN.

I have given away and stopped eating the candy and other carb snacks.  I am temporarilty also stopping the carby fruits.

I am trying to eat meat and cheese and bacon and eggs and protein cakes and Brok's pizza.  All things I love and can either snack on or make a meal out of.

Limiting my # of meals and especially limiting protein doesn't work for me.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 926 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1146 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 403 views