At a loss

susieq35
on 4/23/12 9:51 am - Espanola, NM
DS on 04/24/12
So I am prepped for surgery, have an IV in me and am wearing a hospital gown.  The anesthetist comes over and asks me about my medical history.  Every had any chest pains?  'Yes,' I reply.  'How often?'  'Once every two weeks or so.' 

"I'll be right back."

Next thing I know, Dr K is at my side saying that the anesthetist doesnt think the surgery should go ahead.  Anesthetist states I am too young to have chest pains and all but states she will not anesthetize me. 

Dr K says I should get cardiologist clearance and reschedule.

So I am wheeled back to pre-op and told to 'wait around' for news of a cardiologist appointment.  This was all goign down around 6am as I was the first surgery fo the day.  I duly wait around.  In the meantime I ask whether I can eat anything (at this point I have no idea whether/when the surgery will be rescheduled for).  I was told something light would be okay.  I have a turkey flatbread. 

I get a call to say the cardiologist will see me at 1pm.  I wait around till then.  I attend Cardiologist appt and get clearance.  I am asked to return to Dr K's office for news about a potential new surgery date and time.  I do so and am told it will be at 730pm that evening.  I didnt know whether to be chuffed or to scream.  Anyways I eventually call back and say  I think another date would be better as I had eaten a sandwich not to mention the whole thing felt rushed.  I wanted another early morning appointment and to be the first surgeyr of the day but was told I'd have to wait at least a week.  So I accept another apointment 4 days later at 4pm in the afternoon, as that is the only time the operating room was free that day.  That day is tomorrow the 23rd.

I am at a loss.  Moreover, even though I ensured the surgery was paid for in full (self-pay) months ago, I had an administrator hovering over my preod bed while I Was being stuck with IVs asking me to sign co-pay forms and not able to answer why I needed to sign more forms, stating she is just 'doing as (she) was told.' 

This is my first time in hospital and I am really at a loss as to what to make of the whole thing.

AundreaSmith
on 4/23/12 10:02 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I certainly can understand how frustrating it can be, however, try not to blame the anesthesiologist.  They have your best interest in mind.  If you had some sort of underlying heart condition that could cause serious issues for you AND your surgical team during your surgery.

I think they are working on the side of caution, it's all about your safety.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

nightowl
on 4/23/12 5:14 pm - Topeka, KS
Yikes!  Very sorry you faced that. I'm so curious if you ended up signing the papers or not.  I seriously do not know what I would have done on that part.  But, I know your bigger thing is the postponement when you were all ready.  I don't know why the chest pain wasn't caught and investigated earlier than the day of surgery. I say "yikes" again.  But, Dr. K  is one of the very best in the world, and normally has a good program/administration.  I guess you are now just a few hours away from surgery again.  Maybe ask to read the legal papers you are signing before getting any drugs administered, to make sure what you are signing is reasonable?
* Gail R *
on 4/24/12 4:17 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I had to have cardio clearance before being approved for surgery. I never had any pains or symptoms and cleared easily.  Maybe because I am older? I think the anesthesiologist did the right thing.
Good luck with your surgery. You are on the road to good health! Keep us posted. :)

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 711 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1019 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 341 views