4 days out and have a few questions

merrymorris
on 4/30/12 7:41 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Hello all, well, it's hard to believe that this thing actually happened in fact sometimes I don't even remember until I feel some major gas pain when trying to drink some liquids. I feel a little better everyday and as far as I can tell am having a normal recovery. Two concerns which are probably normal...1. the gas pain....for the love...walking helps a bit but it gets pretty intense. Is this normal? #2. My bowels have not budged. No poopy. My husband bought a stool softener but it is a gel cap and I opened it into some yogurt. It tastes like poison as most of the meds I have to take do. When Should I be concerned about the not pooping? Can I used sugar free metamucil or is that bad to use?
MajorMom
on 4/30/12 7:46 am - VA
The gas pain is normal, keep walking and take that stool softener as is, gel ca*****t.

Hang in there it gets better.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PatXYZ
on 4/30/12 9:03 am
I found a heating pad was really helpful with the gas pain. Felt really comforting. I used Milk of Magnesia in the first couple of weeks post-op when I needed to nudge things along - just make sure you're getting all your fluids in so you don't get dehydrated!
Valerie G.
on 4/30/12 10:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Try Milk of Magnesia as a stool softener, and know that pain meds are constipating, so the sooner you can progress to and advil or two, the better.  For the gas pain, you just have to walk it out.  It's part of that "less invasive" part of laparoscopic surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bubbles6472
on 5/1/12 3:21 am - Perkasie, PA
Hey hun,

Sorry to hear that as I am just the opposite, lucky me, haha. Can be a real pain in the ass that as I don't like the accidents that have occurred. Talk about embarrassing . The gas pains though I can relate to terrible too, the rumbly in my tumbly as winnie the pooh would say. It sucks. Day 9 now I am on and finally seeing improvement. Walking and drinking, And believe me the drinking hurts so I find otherways to get it in, like Popsicles, water ice, jello, chicken broth....of course all sugar free, but work well. And that collace tabs should come small enough to swallow. 7mm remember eraser head size. I have been good with swallowing pills. Good luck sweetie. Remember text me when you need to talk, no bother. Gonna go get some phase 3 things today. yeah. You will be there soon.

merrymorris
on 5/2/12 2:16 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I'm doing a lot better today. Bowels moved all by themselves. GOOD JOB BODY:) It will be a week tomorrow and I am getting better everyday. One thing that is odd is that I haven't been sleeping well at all. I feel tired but can't sleep. It is annoying.
RockyMtnCamper
on 5/3/12 7:11 am
I'm 9 days post op revision from Lap Band to DS with Dr Stewart in Denton TX. Still having some gas issues, and walking does help, I'm walking A LOT though, 3500-5500 steps a day, and I can't get rid of the gas feeling. I'm also can't get down the multivitamin I got from Dr Stewart, that thing is a horse pill! Sometimes if I drink too fast I have a really uncomfortable feeling and I'll york up a little. I guess I just need to take it slower...
Blank Out
on 5/4/12 2:44 am
 Every day, week, month gets better and better!  Your bowels will be very sensitve for awhile.  They have a lot of healing to do!  Sip, walk, rest, repeat!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

NoMore B.
on 5/4/12 7:24 am
 Moving around will help with the gas, and your bowels.  Also remember that you're not eating much solid food, so you might not have that much in you to go.  And pain meds will slow down your digestive process.

Sounds like you're on a good path to recovery.  It gets better each day.

Congratulations
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1003 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views