Question about bloating, diarrhea, etc....

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/14/12 12:45 pm
 Just curious: those of you who seem to struggle more with issues with carbs or sugar or sugar alcohols, we're you someone Pre-surgery that tended to have those stomach issues when ill, pmsing (for you females of course), or when you ate poorly?

Im wondering if you tended to have those issues before, if you struggle more post surgery. I ask because if I have any issue, it's stomach (bloating, diarrhea, etc). Others get the vomiting bug-I get the other. My worst PMS symptom is bloating by far. I indulge, I get flatulence. I'm wondering f there's a correlation...

Thanks!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

Amy W.
on 5/14/12 5:10 pm - Buckeye, AZ
I never ever had stomach issues pre-surgery. Now if I eat gluten (white flour, wheat, barely, rye) I get horrible gas, bloating, diarrhea just because our bodies can't process it the way it used to. Just go gluten-free and you'll notice a HUGE difference in your symptoms. It's night and day! 
p.s.- The surgery also made me lactose intolerant so if I drink milk I get the same symptoms really bad!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/12 1:19 pm
 We had the same surgeon, how exciting!!!  And, even though our bodies may react different...I too became lactose intolerant.  

I found myself agreeing with everthing I was reading in your post.  Depending on what you eat...it is absolutely a night and day reaction.
MajorMom
on 5/14/12 7:18 pm - VA
Sugar and sugar alcohols bothered me some pre-op and they do now too. I just limit them. I also have Celiac but "out grew" the bowel issues I had as a youth. I can still have severe reactions if I go over some undefined threshold so I limit grains too.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

wannablite
on 5/14/12 7:31 pm - Southern, NJ
 I did not have any issues pre-op at all. Now it's a different story! Sugar seems to be a big culprit now of my gas and bloating and sometimes flour. Oddly, I can eat my own homemade bread without problems. I just stay clear of this stuff during my work hours!

Erin
Crazeru
on 5/15/12 8:55 am
I had gas and bowel issues before surgery and after.  I was lactose intolerant for 9 yrs before surgery and after was lactose and whey intolerant.  Protein shakes for me is using eggwhite protein.  I did 2 full rounds of Flagyl at 4mo out, and that helped 95% of my gas issues.  Carbs are bad, I can have a limited amount of white flour then it's gas for the next several hours.  Sometimes Gas-X works, sometimes it doesn't. Sugar alcohols are the devil for me, also, I can't do anything SF. 

I also had explosive diarrhea for 5mo... Chia seeds finally got that under control.  I can still do bouts, but it's not as bad.  I do take 1 -250mg Flagyl 1-3x a week as a maintenance dose.  Probiotics just haven't worked for me.  The cure for the 2-3 weeks getting use to it almost wipes me out with swelling, diarrhea and horrible gas. 

I did buy some almond flour and was going to try some bread with it one of these days.  My sandwich consists of 2 slices of cheese on one side, deli meat and 2 slices on the other side.  Swiss & cheddar or swiss and pepper jack makes a nice combo with mayo or Miracle Whip between all the slices.

I'm also on the farside of the curve with several BMs daily.  I was before surgery and now after there are a few more.  But, for me it's better than being constipated.  Moist wipes and my addition of my bidet to my toilet helps.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Sandra C.
on 5/16/12 1:30 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Been gluten free since surgery. Major gas if I eat white flour products. not lactose intollerant. Able to eat real sugar high fat ice cream. Sugar free/ low carb ice cream causes lots of discomfort. I didnt have these same issues pre surgery. I plan ahead, dont eat the gas producing foods the day before I have to leave the house. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Sandra C.
on 5/16/12 1:36 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Gluten free since D.S. surgery, not lactose intollerant. More lactose issues pre surgery. White flour products cause major gas. I plan ahead not eating gluten the day before I have meetings with other people. Sugar alchols and Splenda cause mouth dryness, and mouth burning feelings for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 444 views