How far from the DS are you....

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/16/12 10:06 am
 I'm trying to gather research on long-term complications, vitamin or absorption issues, etc after the DS. I'm curious how far you are out from your DS, if you've had any complications and briefly what they were. I'm also curious who you 'know' either online or in-person that is farthest out from the current DS procedure....any issues that you've known they've had. I worry about 15-20, 30 years down the road...  As always, thanks for your very valuable time. This decision would be impossible without all of you willing to be so open and helpful!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/12 2:21 pm
TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/16/12 9:12 pm
 There are DS studies 15 years out...I'll see if I can find the link. 

MajorMom
on 5/16/12 7:38 pm - VA
I'm 5 years out. No complications and no vitamin issues since starting Vitalady's plan. I went from osteopenia pre-op to osteoporosis post-op but turning that around now. Bone lose is a problem with any WLS.

My surgeon started doing the DS in 2000 and I've met and talked to one of his DSrs from that year group. He hasn't had any complications either. They've learned a lot more about good vitamin plans and diets since the early days though.

I think the first DS was done in 1988. Maybe there's some longer term information on Dr Hess's website. He's retired now but the website is helpful. www.dshess.com/

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/16/12 9:13 pm
 Thank u!

JazzyOne9254
on 5/16/12 9:55 pm

I'm three years and three months out.

My primary deficiency issues have been calcium and zinc, moreso with calcium.

I might add that I'm also post-menopausal, and was when I had my surgery at 51.  It happened early for me, at 42.

Menopause is a contributing factor to my calcium deficiency.  Most DSers I know personally have more issues with protein calorie malnutrition early out than they do with anything els.  I even had a bout of that early, due to eating and shake issues.  I solved it by using unflavored whey protein isolate in whole milk with heavy cream, and flavoring it myself with extracts, fruit, decaf hazelnut coffee  and cocoa powder (Hershey's Dark).
I also eat a lot of yogurt, full fat hard cheese (medium cheddar and swiss) and cottage cheese. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

TravelingMomofTwo
on 5/17/12 8:20 am
Thanks for all the info...Anyone else? It's nice to get histories....
Lisey
on 5/17/12 11:12 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I'll exclude the last year b/c of unrelated health problems, but up until that point (2 yrs post-op), I had problems with Vit A & zinc, all else was good for vites & protein levels.  I did have a HIGHLY unusual complication, though.  Apparently, I am prone to adhesions/ scar tissue.  I now know that also b/c my sister has had a lot of adhesions from non-WLS abdominal surgery.  Rather freakishly, my appendix wrapped around my small bowel & formed an adhesion with it.  The appendix was also stuck to my colon on the opposite side.  The adhesions slowly strangulated the appendix's blood flow & I eventually developed acute gangrenous appendicitis - it died.  When it died, it swelled up, of course.  The swelling automatically cinched off my small bowel b/c of the adhesion.  Long story short, I basically had an appendectomy & the blood flow was reestablished to my small bowel & the small bowel was fine.

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

MsBatt
on 5/17/12 12:43 pm
I'm 8 years, 5 months, and...6 days post-op. (*grin*) The only complication I've had was a hernia, but I had an open procedure---they're far less likely with a lap procedure.

I have lab work done at last once a year, more often if anything's out of line---and I haven't had to do much tweeking. I may be changing my iron soon---I'll find out next month when I have labs again.

The last I heard, Dr. Hess' very first patient (done in 1988) was still alive and going strong!
(deactivated member)
on 5/17/12 11:11 pm
I'm almost 7 years out.  complications were fairly normal for open abdominal surgery - hernia repair and I did have a bowel kink (not obstruction) combined with a butt load of adhesions.  Both fixed and knock on wood I've had no further issues.  That was approx. 3 years ago.

I do trend anemic, but one infusion a year clears that right up.

Otherwise, I'm pretty darn healthy. 

Of course I too worry about 20 years down the line, but I figure that this is really up to me by staying vigilant with my supplements, lab work, and getting in that protein!!

Sharon
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views