Sorry if I seem whiny

merrymorris
on 5/21/12 2:35 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I hate to be complainer and I really have nothing to complain about. My life is great and I have been incredibly blessed. I have wanted weight loss surgery for so long and have been researching for about 9 years. Almost a month out and I'm losing weight. My issue is, that I am so weird emotionally. I feel so panicky and sad. I just want to be normal again. No amount of reasoning with myself is helping. I have a call into my therapist to help my through this but I am regretting having the surgery. I keep thinking to myself I could have lost weight if I just stuck to eating healthy. I know that I didn't and that is one reason I chose the surgery. Is it at all normal to regret your decision for n apparent reason?
Huneypie
on 5/21/12 2:48 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
You're still recovering from major surgery and things haven't settled down physically yet.  You wouldn't have spent 9 years researching if dieting were so great - remember 95% of diets fail.

I'm sending you healing vibes and ((hugs)).  I'll most likely be where you are in a few months' time and then you can tell me all about how great it is once you're further out!! ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

JazzyOne9254
on 5/21/12 3:05 am

Many people have what is termed "buyer's remorse", post-op. 

For some, the measures we have to take to stay healthy have them saying "What did I get myself into?".

I have been on too many diets in my lifetime, and the DS was the perfect solution for me.  Sure I would lose weight on diets, but I would also feel deprived, and go through too many of the "just this once won't hurt" rationalizations of eating forbidden foods.  I'm sure you've done the same thing.

The DS allows me, for the first time in my life, to eat like a normal person, with no remorse for "being bad", that all of us as dieters have gone through. There are certain things that cause intestinal distress, like white flour (simple carbs) and white sugar (simple sugars), but I am free to make the  choice of whether or not I want to put up with the after effects.

Anecdotally, I've heard some lady DSers say their hormones went out of whack post-op, due to estorgen being released from the fat stores they were losing, and they experienced something akin to post-partum depression. 

You may be mourning the loss of the "you" you've come to know, and not sure if you will like the "new" person.  It may even take a while for you to see your new body.   I"m three years out, and I'm just now beginning to really see mine, although I have a lot of loose skin that makes me still see myself as SMO at times. There may be another issue entirely unrelated to your DS that is making you feel the way you do, and it's a good thing to talk to your therapist about it.  I lost my Mom three weeks ago, and I'm in grief therapy now, but I'm also discovering other issues that will probably make this the best insurance co-pay money I've ever spent!

You're only a month out.  Enjoy the DS ride as much as you can, and by all means, if talking to your therapist about what you're feeling will help, do that.

Peace and Blessings!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

merrymorris
on 5/21/12 3:05 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Thanks for the healing vives and hugs! I know dieting has not worked for me...just wish I could get it together.
beemerbeeper
on 5/21/12 5:57 am - AL
At almost a month out from my DS I wanted to die.  I felt like crap, physically and mentally.  I was struggling with dehydration and I was literally starving.  I still hurt and I had no energy at all.  I was a complete mess.

You are going to be fine.  Just keep working on fluids and protein and starting your vites.

Hang in there.

~Becky

merrymorris
on 5/21/12 6:03 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I do feel really tired and light headed and have no energy so I think that has a lot to do with it. I know it's got to get better. Trying to stay hopeful!
beemerbeeper
on 5/21/12 12:57 pm - AL
Let me tell you something.  You sound dehydrated.  The BEST thing I did at the point where you are now is go to the ER and get a bag of fluids.  That was a HUGE HUGE turning point in my recovery.

I can't tell you how much better I felt after that and how much easier it suddenly became to get enough fluids.

~Becky

ajrober2
on 5/21/12 7:16 am - Houston, TX
DS on 11/01/12
Wishing you a full and quick recovery!  Please don't feel like a whiner.  Its not like anyone is forced to see, hear, or read your concerns.  Talking things out usually makes anyone feel better.  Whenever I go through a period of diet and weight loss my emotions go crazy.  I'm sure my issue is sugar withdrawal. LOL!!!!!!  You are certainly blessed to be on the post-op side of DS, and I hope things stabilizes and you get to celebrate very soon!

Me next!

abe
merrymorris
on 5/21/12 8:40 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
I really really appreciate all your responses and the encouragement. I never thought about the fat releasing hormones but that makes sense.
southernlady5464
on 5/21/12 9:22 am
Make sure you are getting at a MINIMUM of 64 oz of fluid each and every day...and as much protein as you can...aim for a minimum of 30 1st month, 60 2nd month and 90 by the 3rd month. You may need more than that later on but 90 at a minimum is your goal.

Those two, if low, and the fact that your body is dumping hormones (which are stored in fat) into your system makes for a wacky ride. Add the fact that the DS freightliner ran over you (aka the DS Welcome Wagon) is part of the issues.

Things DO get better, just hang in there.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 660 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 997 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views