How many DS surgeries should a surgeon schedule in a day?

jmckel1
on 6/3/12 4:29 am - Ottawa, Canada
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the optimum number of patients a surgeon should schedule in  a single day - 1 or 2 or 3? I imagine it depends on a number of factors (whether it's a complicated revision, etc.) but is there a ballpark figure?

Thanks.
DS: 2011 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 240
VSG: 2012 (Dr. Michel Gagner) SW: 256
Lap-band: 2006 (SW: 226) , 2011 (SW: 236) (Dr. Christopher Cobourn)

k9ophile
on 6/3/12 5:13 am, edited 6/3/12 1:00 pm
I can't imagine anyone knowing with absolute certainty how an operation will go as there are so many variables.  What would be more important to me is if the surgeon knows his/her limits in terms of fatigue.  That is if I were the second one for the day and the first one was way more complicated than expected. I'd rather be re-scheduled than for him to attempt mine not fully alert or somewhat fatigued from standing longer than anticipated.

ETA:  I'm also talking about a "virgin" DS; no revisions.  I suppose if there were no complications, a surgeon could do two, but I'd prefer to be the only one scheduled or have it canceled as stated previously.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

kathy215
on 6/3/12 11:15 am
 One.  And if the surgeon does anymore than one I would look for another surgeon.   My surgery was 5 1/2 hours.   
-VolsDiva-
on 6/3/12 12:10 pm - Orange County :), TN
My surgeon only does one a day. FYI . . . I would not be the second surgery of the day.

06/07/12 - Dr. Sauceda LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift, Fat Transfer and Neck Lift

Huneypie
on 6/3/12 4:43 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
On June 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM Pacific Time, -VolsDiva- wrote:
My surgeon only does one a day. FYI . . . I would not be the second surgery of the day.
Nice advice.  I was gonna be first anyay, but you've helped me stay with the first choice.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

PatXYZ
on 6/3/12 2:24 pm
My surgeon does one DS per day, the morning surgery, and then usually has one or two simpler procedures scheduled for later in the day like a VSG. My virgin lap DS took 5 hours, 45 minutes. I have heard of DS surgeons performing 2 or 3 per day - there are surgeons who can do a DS in 3 hours or less, however, I think that it pretty rare.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Tammy Bishop
on 6/21/12 7:29 am - Buffalo, MN
Dr. Buchwald only does 2 DS surgeries per week and they are on different days. He spends one day a week in clinic and devotes the rest of his time to other surgery types.

BTW - It's his 80th birthday today and he has no plans to retire! He loves saving lives! 

Tammy (Bishop) Simmon
Insurance Appeal Advocate
Center for Bariatric Advocacy and Support
DS with Dr. Buchwald
1-13-04  ~ 285 lbs. to 125 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 567 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 953 views
Need help for my mom