Hi all!

merrymorris
on 6/11/12 1:02 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
A little over 6 weeks out losing weight and feeling really well. SOme questions...Ok, so I was told no caffeine and no soda(diet) but I must admit that I have both and LOVE them. I have no issues. I usually just have some diet ginger ale mixed with my water. I have only about 1 cup of coffee in the morning and was putting vanilla ensure(high protein low carb kind) in it. It is the only way I can take in the protein shakes. The question is, Is the caffeine and soda ok? Is it really going to mess me up? I just feel so restricted I just want something that seems normal. I was also told agave nectar is ok. I am losing weight so I assume it is. Just trying to succeed. Thanks!
kathy215
on 6/11/12 3:16 am
 Merry

You are only 6 weeks out so I wound really follow what the dr says to do.   I know where you are coming from, I never thought I would get past the stages of food before you can eat normal foods again.    In the beginning the carbonation from the soda just blows your stomach up and I thi
K they consider the caffeine an appetite stimulant.     Down the road you can have soda, caffeine etc.  I still can't drink much soda it upsets my stomach and I'm 16 months out.   Oh and I do drink with a straw.  

Stick to it.   The time will pass quickly 

Good luck
Kathy

galla1
on 6/11/12 5:15 am
 Personally I would stop the diet soda and drink decaf.. Your not very far out.. Diet soda can stimulate your craving for more sweets, also caffeinated drinks can also dehydrate you.. I would find something else, to drink... Crystal light maybe? You will be able to have a diet soda later on.. Also remember when you start pushin the envelope that can be the start to not staying on your path... What else will you start just havin a little of?? I would find some discipline and try to stick it out as long as possible.. Give it a few months and you can have a little of this or that..your body is changing so much right now.. Just my perspective.. And I can only tell you what worked for me.. :)

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
southernlady5464
on 6/11/12 6:27 am
I would stop the soda for now...I was closer to 3 months out before I tried those but coffee is another story...esp if it is the ONLY way you can get your protein...but you do know that Ensure (unless you are doing the high prtoein one and that is still only 25 grams for 14 oz, it also has 23 carbs) is a poor quality shake as far as protein goes? Why not try the protein coffee that Gina (majormom) has on her blog, July 19th 2009.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 6/11/12 6:43 am
I've been drinking fully-caffeinated iced tea sine I woke up in the hsopital. I go through about a gallon of it a day---every day.
merrymorris
on 6/11/12 9:49 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
OOOOOOOOOOOOkkkkk, I'll stop for now. I did get new protein today that is better than the ensure. Thanks for the info guys. I guess I just needed a little kick in the pants.
galla1
on 6/11/12 11:16 am
 I use the whey protein from Wally world in my protein coffee everyday.. I make it like this:
About 8 ounces half and half
A splash of torani sugar free syrup ( coffee aisle)
1 or 2 scoops protein powder 2 scoops equals 56 grams of protein low carb also
Then I fill the rest of my roller ball shaker ( if you don't have one you should get one :)) with strong decaf coffee shake it up.. Alway put hot into cold .. Then I put in a coffee mug and heat a little more.. 
I have done the same mixture but with crushed ice for more of an iced coffee taste! 

Something else I did early out was take I thinks it's a magic bullet ? Anyway take ice and grind it up real small kinda like frozen margarita style and then I would blend in some crystal light powder to taste add a slash of half and half or heavy cream and mix it..tastes really good.. The cold on my tummy and the satisfying taste.. I even did a margarita flavored one with crystal light and squeezed some lime in it.. 
I also would drop the ensure.. There is way better sources out there that are low sugar low carb and high protein

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
determineddanni
on 6/12/12 11:26 am
I have not had soda since surgery in December. Its just to much of a bad thing to add to early out. I did add coffee early but my doctor said that was ok. I have one coffee with protein in the morning and decaff with protein at night. I like my protein powders obviously in my coffee lol

I have faith that you can do it:) Once you tell yourself no and you move on and get used to it... its not so bad. You don't even think about it:) G2 (light gatorade) is my go to for fluids. TONS of electrolites! :) good luck hun

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 1:52 pm
Caffeine won't hurt you.

The risk with the soda is just painful gas. If it doesn't cause you discomfort, I know of no medical reason why you shouldn't drink it - though of course only diet soda. I have heard that there are nutritional studies that link the drinking of carbonated beverages to surgery failure. The studies don't claim that this is causal, just that they are linked as these people are perhaps more likely to break other rules or to eat foods often associated with pop that wouldn't be good for us post-op. But I don't see this being a problem for mindful eaters who happen to enjoy calorie free carbonated drinks.

I'm curious whether other people agree, or are aware of any medical reason why diet carbonated drinks or mineral water would be bad post-op?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
merrymorris
on 6/13/12 11:25 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
See, that's what I thought. I was told the reason to avoid soda is the gas that it can cause but I usually just put some in my water to make it interesting. I have only ever had diet ginger ale and un sweetened blackberry seltzer. Both in water. But if there is a real reason not to do it...I won't. I haven't had any in a while but I do like it as a treat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 660 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 997 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views