Questions about vitamins

merrymorris
on 6/18/12 11:17 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
So, i just ordered a 90 day suppley of vitalady's prepackaged ds regimen. Do I just take them all straight off or work my way up? and if I do work my way what should I do? I'm almost 8 weeks out.
Bronwen
on 6/18/12 2:00 pm - Wilmington, DE
 Here's what I do:

I divide my vitamins into 3 doses.  I take one at Breakfast, one at Lunch, and one at bedtime.

Breakfast:
2 calcium citrate (500 mg, total)
1 zinc 50 mg (sun, tues, thurs, sat)
1 copper 2 mg (mon, weds, fri)
1 vitamin A 25K iu

Lunch
1 zinc 50 mg (sun, tues, thurs, sat)
1 vitamin A 25K iu 
1 vitamin D 50K iu
1 multivitamin

Bedtime
2 zinc 50 mg (sun, tues, thurs, sat)
1 vitamin D 50K iu 
1 vitamin K 1 mg

Other things to know:
I don't take iron.  Most people do.  You should go by your labs.  Iron & calcium should NOT be taken together.  Iron can be taken with vitamin C.  Some people are bothered by zinc at bedtime (not me, obviously).  I don't need any B vitamins, either.  You may or may not need everything on vitalady's list - go by your labs.  ALWAYS.
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

MajorMom
on 6/18/12 7:39 pm - VA
Don't force anything but you should be able to take everything but the iron right away. That being said some people have reactions to zinc within about 30 minutes of taking it, so if you start feeling sick on your stomach try not taking the zinc the next dose and see if that's the problem.
You will want to start adding the iron into you schedule slowly. I tried to take the full dose when I started and they made me sick. I've since been told it's better to start iron with one tablet and increase that to 2 the next week and so on until you're able to take the full dose with no issues.
You might also get a flush/rash-like reaction to the niacin in the B-complex. It's not dangerous and short lived but many folks get a reaction to niacin at firs****ch your labs, you may be able to reduce some of the doses or frequencies over time. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

DivaJojo
on 6/19/12 11:11 pm, edited 6/19/12 11:11 pm - Atlanta, GA
I would start with one dose and work my way up over a two or three week period.  Allow yourself time to recognize how your body reacts to what you're taking. 

I would especially advise being mindful with the calcium.  Start with one dose and monitor your bowel habits for a couple days, then increase by one dose.  Modify your water/fiber intake as necessary and, if necessary, begin a regimen to combat calciumstipation should it happen (something like dulcolax, miralax, prune juice daily - you'll have to find what works for you).

As one who knows, you DO NOT want to learn that lesson by trying to heal a fissure and calcium is an evil enemy to the bowel.  Iron can be too, so you'll want to watch that carefully.  Really, it's trial and error.  Take it step by step and you'll learn what you need to do.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

merrymorris
on 6/20/12 7:54 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
ok, thank you for the information!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 678 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom