Vitamin D- Deficiency

rubytica
on 6/30/12 7:05 am - GA
Hello Everyone:

I have not been around for a while.  Yesterday was my 1 year surgery-anniversary and I could not be happier with my decision to have the DS.

I got my labs done and I already see I am Vitamin D deficient. I have been taking 100,000 IU  of D3-50 daily (BIOTECH) for a while but it does not seem to help.  It seems to be going down fast
on 06/05/2012  I had 30 and on 06/27/12 it is down to 22
VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY 30

Is there an RX vitamin D that I should ask for from my PCP?  He said to go by the pharmacy and pick up a prescription but I want to make sure he gives me the correct one for my DS.

Please help

Thanks
Ruby

MajorMom
on 6/30/12 7:13 am - VA
The prescription D is useless if you can't even absorb dry D3. Prescription D is oil based D2 and hard for even normies to absorb. You might try taking at least one capsule of the dry Biotech in the middle of the night away from everything else and test again in 6 weeks.
I've seen some people take as much as 150,000 IUs or even 200,000 IUs, I'm not recommending that but know that some folks do it. That's got to be hard on their systems.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

rubytica
on 6/30/12 8:02 am - GA
 Thank you for your quick response.

Ruby
beemerbeeper
on 7/1/12 6:03 am - AL
I take 50,000 of Vitalady Tender D3 three times a day with calcium and mag cottage. Trying to get mine up from 50.

The script is useless as it is in oil.

Becky

Jennifer L.
on 7/1/12 7:10 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with
 I am not switched yet but I have been deficient before in Vitamin D... have you asked you doctor about vitamin D shots? People who are switched, correct me if I am wrong, but if you have the shot you should have a better time with absorbtion. When I was having issues with my vitamin D, my doctor was giving me shots for a few months until my levels were up on top of taking a daily vitamin. I found the shots were SO much better than the pills... I havent had the shots in awhile but I can tell the difference. 

Again, I am not switched so I can't tell you from THAT perspective, but in terms of vitamin D, I know alot about that.

Also, if you try to spend 20 minutes a day outside in the sun, sunscreen free, that is the best way to get your daily vitamin D. Most of what you need in terms of vitamin D should come from the sun, not food.

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

MajorMom
on 7/1/12 7:20 am - VA
There is at least one DS surgeon offering vitamin D shots, so that's a possibility. You still need to supplement to keep the D levels up from what I've read of those patients getting the yearly shot. I like the idea of getting sun when it's available too. I go to the tanning booth once a week for 8 minutes and walk about 30 minutes a day in short sleeves during the summer.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

duncans
on 7/1/12 10:01 am
Uptake from the sun varies a great deal. I live in the Pacific Northwest , but spend a great deal of time in the sun. I am on a tractor a minimum of 32 hours a week. (in a tank top, shorts) .You'd think that would be enough. Not so! I take 250,000 IU every night to keep me at optimal range.
Also, having had melanoma, the sun is not really your best friend. I have heard that the best uptake is through your eyes, but who can stand bright sunlight without protection? I can't remember where I read this, but it doesn't matter for me. I can't tolerate sunlight without sunglasses.

Every person has to find what works for their individual situation. Trend the labs!

airbender
on 7/2/12 9:19 am
I take Vit D3 IM injections,  300,000 IU 3xs a year, this is a compounded RX specifically made for me and is covered by my insurance, not from my surgeon but from Naturopathic Healthcare with General Medicine, yes he is a MD,  has many RX compounded, hormones etc, I will be switching my vit A over to compounded RX in the future also, my Vit K will be switche over to sub q injections also.   You will have to play around with the dose that is right for you....injections a few times a year are much easier and much better absorbed....
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 980 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 445 views