Hope I'm not going to die

merrymorris
on 7/2/12 10:24 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
So, I had my DS in April and my gall bladder removed a few days ago. Wednesday my husband and I are flying to California. Now, I am extremely close to my family, especially my two sisters. I haven't seen them in a very long time. So, to not go would be emotionally devastating to me. However, the surgeon, though not forbidding me to go, has concerns about blood clots from the trip. Has anyone had any experience with a long flight after surgery?
MajorMom
on 7/2/12 10:28 am - VA
Think of all the people that flew to Spain, Brazil or Mexico for their DS. :)  

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

merrymorris
on 7/2/12 10:36 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
you're right! and they don't die! It's a 6 hours trip so I'm going to wear compression stockings and move around as much as possible.
MajorMom
on 7/2/12 10:41 am - VA
That should help a lot. Even just standing rather than sitting the whole time will help.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

NoreenRT
on 7/2/12 11:06 am - Warner Robins, GA
i did  a 4 hour car ride 2 weeks after my ds.  dr's instuctions where to do knee kicks often, weat the stockings  and stop at every rest stop. you won't have the luxury of rest stops so could you notify the attendants that you will need to walk the isles?

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

Gutless_in_Seattle
on 7/2/12 12:49 pm - Seattle, WA
You should be OK with the compression stockings, also you could take some asprin as a blood thinner plus move around as much as possible. Every thirty minutes or so get up, go to the rest room, or stop by the galley and ask for some water. Anything to keep you moving.
As Noreen said, communicate with the flight staff, they'll usually try to accomodate you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Women and Cats will do as they please,
...and Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DS with Dr. Myur Srikanth
Virgin DS Lap Surgery scheduled for December 4th, 2012

Khedgehog
on 7/2/12 4:19 pm
I know some surgeons prescribe injectable blood thinners for people going on long trips when soon after surgery. Enoxaparin, tinzaparin etc. Also, compression stockings and getting up to walk a bit AT LEAST once per hour is definitely recommended.

Approved for DS in Ontario! Waiting for a date!

merrymorris
on 7/3/12 12:37 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Good advice, people. My surgeon said that he wasn't going to prescribe the injectable blood thinners because he didn't think it would make a difference. So the plan is, stockings, standup, move around, drink water.
PatXYZ
on 7/3/12 2:52 am
It sounds like you have a plan, stick to it and you are likely to be just fine. Make sure though that if you experience any shortness of breath, pain in your chest, redness and swelling in your arms or legs, that your get yourself to an ER immediately!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Krazydoglady
on 7/3/12 4:01 am - FL

Just do exercises while you're sitting, and you should be fine.  You need to do them once an hour or so.

1) Rock your feet back and forth 20 times, each

2) Lift your leg up and race the alphabet with you foot.  Repeat with the other leg.

I do these almost unconsciously at work due to issues I have with my legs and a constant risk for clots.  I also get up a couple of time s aday and walk.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1003 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views