Two weeks away and so so nervous!!

Auntie_Annie
on 8/5/12 4:19 pm, edited 8/6/12 1:00 pm - PA
DS on 08/20/12
I am officially two weeks away from my surgery.  I start my liquid diet tomorrow (Monday).  My father is having spinal surgery (open, not lap) Tuesday.  I am a bundle of nerves!  Is it normal to be this scared?  All I can think about is our surgeries.  I can't concentrate on anything.  I had my last "normal" meal this evening (grilled flank steak, roasted potatoes, and corn on the cob) and I barely enjoyed it because my brain won't stop.  Did anyone else experience this at two weeks out?  It all feels so real now, and it's scaring the crap out of me, literally (ha).
"Switched" 8/20/12
HW: 419
SW: 403
CW: 359
Huneypie
on 8/5/12 7:29 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Relax and take a deep breath.  This is major surgery and it's completely normal to feel nervous.  Just try and keep yourself busy until your surgery (getting your house tidy, packing a bag for hospital, etc).

2 weeks will fly by in no time.  I wish you all the best for an uneventful speedy recovery. ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Auntie_Annie
on 8/6/12 5:31 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Thank you very much.  I feel like I am being totally irrational, but I keep having thoughts of not waking up from surgery, horrible pain, complications, etc.  Besides mild sleep apnea, infertility, and joint pain, I really am perfectly healthy.  No high bp, diabetes, nothing.  I just hope the next two weeks flies by.
"Switched" 8/20/12
Huneypie
on 8/6/12 5:58 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Yes I was worried about not waking up or having awful complications.  I'll be 2 weeks out tomorrow and it's been plain sailing so far.  I think having a great surgeon really helped.  Dr Greenbaum is on the vetted list so you should be in good hands.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

teachmid
on 8/6/12 8:53 am - OKC, OK
It's the two week freak out and extremely common. Breathe and stay busy.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

jennyrenny
on 8/6/12 11:11 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
Hi Auntie Annie,

I know exactly how you are feeling. My DS is this coming Saturday. I'm on the pre-op diet. I'm hungry and grumpy, but mostly terrified. I keep wondering if this is the right thing for me, if I'll be okay, etc. etc.

I go back and forth between "Yay, it's almost here, only a few more days as a really really fat person!" and "Holy crap, what am I doing??? I must be crazy!"

I don't think I have ever felt so many conflicting emotions all at the same time.

We'll get through it!

Jenn

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Auntie_Annie
on 8/6/12 12:04 pm - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Thanks!  I am very hungry this evening.  I've been drinking a ton of water to help curb some hunger, but now I am peeing constantly, lol!
"Switched" 8/20/12
skinnime12
on 8/6/12 12:47 pm
I'm with ya, so dang nervous...so many emotions! I'm obsessed, its all i can think about!
2renee
on 8/7/12 12:22 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12
I am three weeks away and starting to get ready for post op i.e. getting my vitamins, cooking, making purees and freezing them in ice cube trays etc... Every so often I think what the heck am I getting myself into this time and then I think of the people who have gone before me and then get excited that finally, after 32 years of battling this, I am about to win the war... I do believe it is important to go into surgery with the right attitude so try and change that tape in your head and start seeing the surgery as successful, no complications a good recovery... it might help calm you...

Renee
Auntie_Annie
on 8/8/12 2:29 am - PA
DS on 08/20/12
Well, I am happy to report that my dad's spinal surgery went great yesterday!  The surgeon said he couldn't have asked for a better surgery and he actually finished an hour ahead of schedule.  I was actually in the back while they were prepping him so I got to see what I have in store for me.  It did calm my nerves a bit.  One surgery down, one to go!
"Switched" 8/20/12
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 983 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 446 views