With carbs comes hunger?

jennyrenny
on 9/8/12 7:40 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I am four weeks postop today. First three weeks I had very little hunger. I tended to get a hedache telling me I was hungry before my tummy told me. Since I've been on soft food this has changed. Now I am often hungry. On my soft foods list there are lots of carbs, and I find to get in soft protein since I am having issues with lactose. On Monday I can start solids, and I plan on going very low carb (as a carbaholic I need to do this or I am done for). I am worried my DS isn't working because I want to eat so often, but I think it may be hat the carbs are messing with my blood sugar. Anyone else experience this?

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

MajorMom
on 9/9/12 2:22 am - VA
Eating often is normal but make sure you eat as you've planned, low carb and high protein. :)

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 9/9/12 7:33 pm

Jenny-

If you are having problems with the lactose in your protein powder, use whey protein *isolate*.  Most of the lactose is processed out of it.  It is used to make Muscle Milk, so you can use that in a pinch, but you can usually find the small tubs in health food stores, and you can order on-line.  I was back in the hospital for rehydration 48 hours after release, because the straight whey ran all my fluids out! My surgeon hipped me to WPI.

Once you get your WPI, don't *ever* completely stop drinking your shakes.  I don't care what anybody tells you, there is no way you can eat the 90-100g of protein we DSers need *daily*, especially when you are just 4 weeks out.  Our program recommends working up to it in a 30-60-90 per three months.  I also cut all my vites not for size, but to get past the coating that some of them have, so my stomach acid can work on the business part of the vites, instead of working so hard to break through the coating.  Immediately post op, my sleeve capacity was only 2.8 oz. Now, I can hold 8 oz at a time, a "salad plate"-sized meal,  eating very slowly. I eat 6-8 times a day, including shakes, just to keep my weight from dropping past a certain point.  I lost my first 200 pounds in a year.  Nothing scientific proves this, but it is said that the more you have to lose, the faster you lose it.

Are the carbs on your food list simple or complex?  Most vegetables, fruits and grains fall into the complex carb category, and as a DSer, you will only absorb about 50-60 percent of that. Same for protein.  Fat becomes a health food at 20% absorption -helps move things along 
Don't worry if you should happen to experience an "oil slick" - that just means your DS is working as it should.  They will become less frequent as your sleeve and reconfiguration mature.

Hope that helps!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 858 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1107 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 370 views