Need something for smelly gas that I cam mix up at home, any suggestions????

seananc
on 10/13/12 6:59 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12
I cannot take the smaell of this gas!!!  I makes me nauscious!  I cleared out my doctor's office with this toxic smelling fumes!  I have ordered devrom but it is back ordered!  Is there amything i can take internally to help with this smell?  I have lost 70lbs since surgery 7/23/12.
SA
MajorMom
on 10/13/12 7:24 am - VA
You might try probiotics such as Primal Defense Ultra and cut any white carbs and food that contains gluten. If that doesn't work you might try to talk to that doc about a round of Flagyl antibiotic.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

southernlady5464
on 10/13/12 9:21 am
While you need to cut carbs...you probably also need to do an elimantion diet to find out what is causing it. Covering it up won't help you.

Check any food that is not JUST meat/protein. Esp any prepackaged items, even protein powder can be suspect. Milk is a nortorious offender, so are artifical sweetners. But any carb can cause it.

Ozium helps too, it's found at an auto parts store or in the automotive dept at WalMart.

But your best bet is to check what you are eating. Once you have gotten to the very basics for food for a few days, add ONE item at a time to find the culprit. And only one item per day.

Example, eat just chicken, dark meat, or some other soft protein like tuna. Do not add anything to it for about 3 days. And just drink water. If you must have flavor, use a lemon or drink unsweetened tea.

Then after you have cleared out your system, add one item (eggs, hardboiled or scrambled, plain). After 24 hours, add another item...it will take quite awhile to find the culprit but this is the best way.

Also read labels, esp protein powder or any snack food (protein bars are popular but cause many to have gas). Check for any sweetener or milk product. Here is a list of those: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_product
Make sure you check ALL ingredients...many times they are hiding. But labels HAVE to state if they contain milk, egg, wheat, etc in the making of the product.

I discovered after surgery, as most of us have, that I was lactose intolerant.

Good luck in getting this under control.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

A. C
on 10/13/12 9:28 am

In my case, dairy is a no-no if I don't want to have gas.  I'm a newbie and have figured that out in the last week.  I make my shakes with Almond Milk.  The surgeon said it's ok for me to cut out the dairy. 

MsBatt
on 10/13/12 9:54 am
You can probably buy charcoal tablets at your local pharmacy, but please understand---they are only a TEMPORARY fix. They block the absorption of VITAL nutrients, so you should NEVER take them for more than 7-10 days at a time.

Start taking the probiotics, and start the elimination diet. The only real solution is to find out what's upsetting YOUR gut.
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/12 9:28 pm
I agree with the others.  You've got to look at what you are eating.  I have no problems with gas unless I eat something I shouldn't.

Good luck.
Michelle E.
on 10/13/12 10:20 pm - Fishers, IN
I suggest you take a probiotic capsule once a day - - I  take HSN Friendly Flora (5 billion CFU).  I swear I am gassy and ultra stinky when I do not take.   Andrew Lessman on HSN has a special price on this product today.  I have never tried any other product but his works REALLY well. 

Also Devrom NEVER worked for me.  I am going away on vacation today and I refuse to leave my house without the Friendly Flora.  The Devrom will remain in the bathroom cabinet during my vacation. 

I hope this helps you as well.

Revision from a VBG in '96  

SW/380 CW/260 GW/140
Jolly Rancher
on 10/14/12 4:33 am
What are you eating? List it out here and many vets will help you identify gas producing carbs. I'm guessing that is your true issue.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Valerie G.
on 10/14/12 4:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 It's got to be something you're eating.  The biggest culprits are simple carbs (flour, pasta, sugar), artificial sweeteners and lactose intolerance.  Eliminate all of those from your diet, then introduce one thing back at a time so you can pinpoint what you're reacting to.  

With lactose intolerance, it varies.  Some cannot eat any dairy, while others (like me) only react badly to a few items, like straight milk (but I can cook with it with no problems).  Also - whey protein is included in lactose products.  You may want to try something made with soy instead.

Another person recommended a probiotic.  It seems we're inclined to get a bacterial imbalance in the bowels pretty easily.  A probiotic, from a pill form to simply eating yogurt daily will help keep that balance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/14/12 11:37 am - Sedona, AZ
 since doing Greek yogurt Fage daily with a little berries in the morning everyday I am told my smell has greatly diminished. . . I also take the Probitioc from Mercola. One or the other or both are helping finally.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 422 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 867 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 278 views