It's a Date, ...well, maybe, I think ***CONFIRMED***

texasrigdiver
on 11/1/12 1:04 pm, edited 11/2/12 8:55 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

All my docs were submitted to the ins company by my surgeon. I've called the ins company a few times and they told me I had a surgery date of 10/30, I wish someone would have told me! They said that was just a tentative date used by the surgeon and a legitimate date would be selected if I was approved. I called the doc and let them know and they wanted me to set a date. Because of family commitments and having in-laws stay with us over Thanksgiving, I don't want to be at home in post op recovery with my mother and sister in law here, plus my sis is getting married so Nov is shot.

The ins company said they would have an answer within 14 days from submittal, so I asked if based on that timeline they would have an answer next week and the rep laughed and said yes and told me to feel free to call back as often as I liked.

I'm penciled in for Nov 29th as a tentative date.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

MajorMom
on 11/1/12 6:17 pm - VA

Congratulations!!  Everything will work itself out. Hang in there.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

hamilbr
on 11/2/12 2:13 am - Lewisville, TX

I haven't heard of a Dr. Carlos Ferrari.  Where is he located?  If in TX are you sure he does the DS.. Not wanting to cause problems, but have you check him out?

B

texasrigdiver
on 11/2/12 9:10 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I have checked him out and so have a lot of other people. I'm comfortable with my decision and so is my wife. You can click on his link and check him out too

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

PattyL
on 11/2/12 3:21 am

Don't worry, things don't usually happen that fast.  And the approvals are usually good for a year.  Read your specific policy to be sure.

Just read your siggy line about scuba diving.  That's one of the reasons I had surgery too.  I wanted to be able to get in and out of small boats and find equipment that fit.  I don't get to go diving all that often but I smile every time I see the wet suit in my closet, size, XS.  It was probably sized big to begin with.

I lived in Texas for years and never did any diving there.  Too fat.

texasrigdiver
on 11/2/12 9:20 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Patty,

they sure happened fast!

Diving along the upper TX coast isn't much fun. You need to run about 60 miles off shore to get any decent visibility. I also do a lot of spearfishing (well, i did), I had to sell my boat because I was't comfortable running off shore anymore , again, too fat to move nimbly. the southern TX coast is much better. I'm fortunate to have done extensive worldwide traveling and most places I get a couple of tanks of bottom time. From the Great Barrier reef in Australia, the Turks and Caicos, drift diving in Trinidad and Tobago. And walking off the gulf beaches of FL right on to wrecks. I have a life long goal to dive the wrecked plate fleet of the Spanish Main off the FL Keys. I got to meet Mel Fisher working one summer in the late 70's in Key West during the summer working on one of my dads shrimp boats. Though I had done some diving up to that point it was that encounter that turned it into a passion.

Now I can do it again, soon...

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

PattyL
on 11/4/12 6:36 am

Tahiti is my favorite!  I would love to try the Seychelles too!

Shrimp boat?  Yum...  Fresh shrimp.  A million years ago there used to be a bar in Kemah where you could watch the shrimp boats coming and going.  Unloading their catch.  As long as you bought beer, the shrimp were FREE!  And we could eat a LOT of shrimp.  Ah, yes, the good old days!

But I can still eat a LOT of shrimp!

texasrigdiver
on 11/2/12 9:04 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Rather then go into the weekend not knowing anything I decide to call the ins company back today. Everything is approved and it looks like 11/29 is going to be a solid date for surgery.

This is one of many milestones to come in this journey that started years ago with thinking about surgery. the process to getting approved only started 40 days ago. I called the ins company and found out everything I needed to do, they were very helpful. I filled out an application at UHC's recommended COE hospital and over the next 5 weeks I set and met with the surgeon, then had an echocardiogram and stress tests, blood work, a psych eval and met with a nutritionist. 7 business days ago my surgeon submitted my paperwork requesting approval and today the ins. company approved the request for DS surgery. 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

MajorMom
on 11/2/12 9:16 am - VA

WooHoo! Congrats!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

smileyjamie72
on 11/2/12 1:10 pm - Palmer, AK

YAY!!!!!!!  Congrats!!!!  It will be here before you know it!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?