I am 4 1/2 months post op and plateaued!!!

seananc
on 12/2/12 3:36 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12

I am not eating any meat ( i just don't feel like eating any). I have only lost about 80+lbs since surgery 7/23/12 and 83 lbs preop since 1/1/12. for a total of 163 lbs since 1/1/12. i am eating more carbs and a little more sugar.  what do i do!  I had the DS and I should be dropping more weight.  I probably need to start going to support group as well.  Please help.  all advice is appreciated!!

SA
MajorMom
on 12/2/12 3:46 am - VA

You probably need to cut the carbs and definitely the sugar.  What about drinking protein shakes if you've crashed on meat?  Syntrax Nectar chocolate, strawberry and vanilla are good and the whey protein taste is minimal.  You really need to have at least 100 - 150 grams of protein a day. Since you aren't getting the protein, you're body is likely starving and the simple carbs fill you up quickly but don't last and just aren't nutritious. Simple carbs store in your body as fat; not good when you want to lose it. There's nothing wrong with green veggies but the sugar needs to go.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

seananc
on 12/2/12 4:03 am - Fernandina Beach, FL
DS on 07/23/12

Thanks!  I am going back on liquids first thing i the morning!!!

SA
MajorMom
on 12/2/12 4:44 am - VA

Good for you! If that will help you break the cycle, go for it. It might take a couple or three days to get over craving the carbs-- just do it and good luck. 

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 12/2/12 5:15 am - bay area, CA

Anyone can hit a stall, even with no apparent reason, but you have a reason - not enough protein, too many carbs.

And the big concern isn't your weight, it's the damage you will cause if you become protein deficient. This is serious, don't let this happen. And it's a lot harder to treat after you become deficient than it is to prevent the problem NOW.

So use the protein shakes, or drinks, or whatever other supplements you like, and if you are tired of meat, try other forms of protein - shrimp and other shellfish, chicken, turkey, cheese, pork, hell you could eat an iguana for all I care, just get in your protein!

Larra

Jaiart
on 12/2/12 5:36 am - MI
A good protein powder is isopure zero carb whey protein. I understand the lack of like for meat, I was there myself but decided after much struggling to just eat the fatted calf. I chose this surgery so might as well work it to my advantage. You should do the same.

A. C
on 12/2/12 6:21 am

I am 4 months out as of yesterday.  There are days when I don't feel like eating food at all.  No matter what ~~~ I get in my protein shakes even if I have to have 5 of them in a day to get in my protein of minimum of 100 grams (I have been averaging 125/day w/food).  I keep my carbs under 50.  It's only hard on the days when my blood sugar drops.  My carbs may increase those days because of my ritual.  My appt with the endo is not until next month. 

Stay away from the Sugar!  Cut down on the carbs even lower than 50 if you have to.  Carbs are not our friend!!!  If you want something crunchy, try Nut Thins. 

Yes, I am a bit of a Carb Nazi but I went through this surgery and I'm going to work it ~ as best I can.  It is a tool we have to learn to use ~ to be totally in tune with our bodies!

Good luck!  You can do it!

larra
on 12/2/12 11:32 am - bay area, CA

I replied earlier, but somehow my post isn't showing up, so I'll try again.

everyone hits a stall at times, even with no apparent reason. You have a reason for your stall - not enough protein, and too many carbs. Nevermind the weight loss, not enough protein can be dangerous as it can lead to protein deficiency, which can have devastating consequences. It's a lot harder to treat protein deficiency than it is to prevent it, so the key is to start getting in lots more protein now. If that means protein shakes/drinks/ supplements, fine, do that. But even if you're sick of meat, there are lots of other protein choices available to you, esp since, with the DS, you don't need to worry about the fat content, as you won't absorb much of the fat anyway. There is shrimp, other shellfish (I bet you have good shellfish in FL), chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese, pork, ham, bacon, I don't care if you eat iguana or rattlesnake, just get it that protein!

when you chose to have the DS, you made a committment to yourself to follow certain nutritional guidelines for the rest of your life. One of the most important is adequate protein intake. You have lots of options, and these days there are so many different supplements available that there just has to be something you can use successfully.  Get started now!

And I do agree with you that a support group would be helpful as well, though any local group you find will not be DS oriented. Still, the support is helpful.

Larra

usandall
on 12/2/12 11:49 am

I was doing protein with milk and of course there are carbs associated.  Now I am doing 1 scoop of protein, 2 ounces of heavy cream milk, half a cup of ice and then fill the remainder with water.  It taste like a real shake but not all the carbs.  Do not freak about the fat as we need it.  Since I have done this I am more regular and my stools are formed.  My skin is less dry.  More importantly I am losing again I am down to 154. 

Ignore the calories go on myfitnesspals.com and it helps to keep track of your protein so you are over 100 per day and before long you will once again be losing. 

Donna

Valerie G.
on 12/2/12 12:14 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Plateaus are going to happen several times, but meat or no meat, you need 100-120g of protein each day.  SF Custard and Ricotta cheese were my favorite go-to's when I got sick of meat.  The simple carbs (flours and sugars) are going to slow your loss, so keep yourself in check.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 422 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 867 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 278 views