Fruit - should we be having it?

Sumundo311
on 12/4/12 9:10 pm - Saskatoon, Canada

I seen in a post someone wanted orange juice and there was lots of comments about fruit, I eat it all the time, mostly grapes, rasp. and blueberries, and oranges and banana's. Should I be eating these things daily or should I be monitoring them I had no idea the sugar in the fruit would affect my weight lose. I have been trying to eat better since joining this site, so any help and guidance is appreciated.

Valerie G.
on 12/4/12 9:52 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Honestly, nothing is off-limits, but one must be mindful of what they're eating.  Fruit is full of natural sugars, so very well absorbed into our bodies, as opposed to say.....broccoli.  Its all about being mindful.  If you're trying to lose, you may be more mindful about how much fruit you eat than when you are in maintenance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PattyL
on 12/5/12 3:34 am

Sugar is sugar.  Doesn't matter much where it comes from.  And sugar(carbs) is the one thing we are supposed to avoid.

I eat very little fruit.  I had 20 blackberries the other night and they were my first postop.  And it's been almost 10 years...  I buy a couple bunches of bananas and several cantaloupes a year.  Right now there are two red grapefruit in the fridge.  It's unusual for me to even have fruit in the house.

texasrigdiver
on 12/5/12 3:57 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

I can't wait to eat fruit again. I've been on restrictive diets for years that say no fruit because its sugars/carbs and carbs are the enemy. I can't wait to eat a big juicy mango or this summer when I get to eat a sweet juicy ripe peach. I don't plan on eating fruit every day but at least now I can eat it occasionally. I'm going to watch which fruits I eat and where they fall on the glycemic index.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

bugirll
on 12/5/12 4:20 am - MD
DS on 03/19/12

I have fruit rarely (read that as a couple times a month).  Mostly a couple strawberries on top of my plain greek yogurt.  Sometimes I may have a couple slices of apple covered in PB.  I do not tolerate apple skin though, I have to cut that off.  

DS with Toon Sonneville 3/19/12
Sumundo311
on 12/5/12 5:45 am - Saskatoon, Canada

This group is amazing I never really realized how off tracked I was (am), I feel like I have so much more to learn and to be able to access people that are similar, feels great. This is definitely a learn as you go surgery. I have asked a few questions on this site and I have really inspired. Thanks and I hope you don't mind but I still have lots of questions

beemerbeeper
on 12/5/12 12:59 pm - AL

If you are trying to loose weight the answer is a carb is a carb is a carb.  Fruit =Candy=White Bread=whatever.  LIMIT your carbs.  COUNT your protein.  Once you get to your ideal weight you can SLOWLY add whatever carbs you like and your weight will tell you how many carbs you can have.  But during weight loss?  Really, stay far far away from them.

~Becky (3 years post DS)

puppysweets1
on 12/6/12 10:58 am - CA

Don't over do fruit because of the sugar.  Juice is particularly bad because it is straight fruit sugar in liquid form - at least if you eat the whole fruit you get the fiber and other parts of the fruit, too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1051 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1213 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 503 views